Generals

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

Raquiem
Lieutenant

Generals

Post by Raquiem »

as I saw in the updated empires section there is Feldmarschall who can lead up max. 6 troops - is that mean that if u want to lead army of f.e. 12 u need 2 Feldmarschalls or do they lead more man while gaining experience and well experienced feldmarschall upgraded with tech tree could lead f.e. 8 men ?
"Lubię słuchać gdy jest już późno, gdy wszyscy śpią, kiedy gwiazdy lśnią...i jest cichy cały dom..."

"If it quacks like a duck....etc it probably is a duck." - Screamingpalm
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

Actually, I imagined it more the combined leadership of one army overall commander-in-chief with additional sub-officers serving underneath his orders and supervising a portion of the whole force.

So, to command a force of 12 Great Britian would need:

1 Field Marshal (6)
2 Captains (2x3=6)

Or:

1 General (5)
1 Colonel (4) Second in command of his own regiment.
1 Captain (3) As commander of the calvary.

Infact, I also suspect that their will be a strong tendancy towards bottom heavy hierarchy. So, it would be likely any Field Marshal officers that eventually would be avalible, would likely have a majority of rank Captains, perhaps the occassional Colonel, but rarely a rank Gereral (let alone a second Field Marshal) acting under his command. That is- until the war deciding actions like Waterloo or Austerlitz,

But, As far as the effect of experience on command limits, I have no idea. Anyone?
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

A lower ranked officer is not under the command of a higher ranked officer. You can have a maximum of 3 officers in a province, and a 4th one as reinforcements (which you can call on the battlefield after a certain amount of uits have died.) If these are all Field Marshals, and all have 6 infantry units under their command (they don't appear theirselfs on the field btw, but the textures are there, so maybe in a mod;)) you will have 6 × 60 × 4 = 1.440 under your command. If your opponent has the same amount of units you will have 2.880 units on the map in total. :D
I don't think they can command more than 6 units though, but I might be wrong.

Also, I'm sorry but the North African and Special units' descriptions are not coming today. I had an unexpected Meet 'n Greet with an Eidos forumer today, so couldn't find the time. 8)
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

Part of Worthplaying.com preview:

Commanders each have ranks and their increasing rank not only gives them bonuses but allows them to command additional units;
Does it mean that the captain could advance and become one day a field marshall ? ^^
"Lubię słuchać gdy jest już późno, gdy wszyscy śpią, kiedy gwiazdy lśnią...i jest cichy cały dom..."

TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Yup. :)
Sqall
Soldier

Post by Sqall »

So are there actually any officers on the battlefield?
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Nope. :(
Isledall
Lieutenant

Post by Isledall »

I would have loved the generals on the field,, the more fluff the better.. but he we cannot all be RTW...

nevertheless.. after playing the demo and seeing how things work ingame.. a single command unit would be target no 1 for cpu or human players... and all those kammikaze cavalery would take away the fun...
atleast now the cavalery runs in a straight line towards my arty... just to bad for them they need to get through a square of inf to get to them... lol

but do not worry I still find it a good game.. and fun to play...
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

Very interesting!

That creates some very intriguing military management situations. I can't wait to see how it opperates in action!!!

I'm over flowing with questions!

For example:

How does the interaction/between units and commanders work: IE- Is there an active assignation of specific units to a specific commander or do the officers in a territory operate in abstract combination for the total unit 'stacking limit' per territory?

Can officers be moved as part of an army 'stack' (with the units and officers grouped together into armies) or are each moved separatedly?

Are there situations where having a lower ranked officer already in a territory would actually be a handicap his army? Like situations in which an army was of a size and location in which the replacement of a lower grade officer with a higher one unmanageble due to territory/command limit constraints?
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

No reall general on the field?! :shock: DAmn, this is getting creepy. That means also no moral. Oh Oh, what have they done. In RTW, if your general dieds, the moral is going down. Here, in IG,soldiers are fighting next to your "general", he is giving comands, and suddenly he is dead. Soldiers; "No problem people, he is only dead, it can be fixst" :p But still, i am going to buy the game. ( Hope that activision is making a better Napoloenic Total War game)
[Oranje Boven !] [Steady, Aim...............Fire !!]
Hurricane
Sergeant

Post by Hurricane »

Traitor! :wink:
There was never a genius without a tincture of madness-Aristotle
Isledall
Lieutenant

Post by Isledall »

if you play the demo and watch the 3 movies on this board you know what you will get..

but I like it.. it is an empire game.. and indeed it does not have a lot of things we all would want to see... but then again this is the only Napoleontic game around... (ok ok cossacks2 is also there but it is just no fun... 1 shot .. melee game...) and no it takes to long to wait on a RTW mod.. :)

this Imperial Glory is in my opinion fun to play.. not historical correct... no moral... (as far as I can tell) and no generals... and I can think of a lot of more things... but in the end for me is the fun.. the challenge and the empire the most important.. oh and the fluff... I think this game is ok...
jrdrums
Lieutenant

Post by jrdrums »

Do the officers, generals ect. have names or are they just called by their ranks? Like in RTW your generals and family had names; does this game?
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Check the management movie, jrdrums. It answers both your questions with a yes: your officers have names (Wellington, Napoleon, etc.) and little kiddos get born and you have mariage (<-- not in the the movie) and some stuff.
Sqall
Soldier

Post by Sqall »

Sounds good,
I think I saw a notice of what looked like a birth in the family, like you said.
hunter
Sergeant

Post by hunter »

If there were Gen's it would be awsome... what if u see ur losing a battle and their coming for ur Gen? i would put a Square formation up, Gen in the middle of it. Like Napoleon did, wouldnt that be awsome if they add it? or mod it... later...
hunter
Sergeant

re:

Post by hunter »

Dutch Soldier wrote:

But still, i am going to buy the game. ( Hope that activision is making a better Napoloenic Total War game )

Ya same here, i totally agree, i hope the rwt serie's will consider making a napoleonic wars game :P And of course, i will buy IG, damn its a torcher to let me wait for 11 more #$#%@^$ days :(
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Re: re:

Post by Dutch Soldier »

hunter wrote:Dutch Soldier wrote:

But still, i am going to buy the game. ( Hope that activision is making a better Napoloenic Total War game )

Ya same here, i totally agree, i hope the rwt serie's will consider making a napoleonic wars game :P And of course, i will buy IG, damn its a torcher to let me wait for 11 more #$#%@^$ days :(
Lol m8 :lol: First they are making a expantion pack for RTW So, it will take a long time before (I hope not) Napoleonic Total War will be released.
(If they have plans to make it)
[Oranje Boven !] [Steady, Aim...............Fire !!]
hunter
Sergeant

Post by hunter »

They torcher me, its awfull!!
Sqall
Soldier

Post by Sqall »

I think they said its 5 years...
hunter
Sergeant

Post by hunter »

Sqall wrote:

I think they said its 5 years...

Shhhh shhhh shhhhut up, dont u talk dirty like that!
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

why do u care ?
there are less than one week to release date of a great napoleonic game :P

hunter
Sergeant

Post by hunter »

Ya i know, im just kidding