Formations

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

Is Imperial Glory better then Rome: Total War

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 7

pwaark
Soldier

Formations

Post by pwaark »

To start with I have only played the demo so correct me if they have changed this. Picture this, You have just spent 5 minutes organizing your men into perfect lines with brilliant fields of fire, you, satisfied with your men's positions, sit back and prefer for you enemies to be slaughtered under the glorious guns of you men. Then it all goes horribly wrong. You discover to your disgust that when you order your men to open fire on the enemy infront of them they begin to turn out of formation and pretty soon you have almost your entire facing at odd angles. Worst of all some of your men have their flanks facing at the enemy cavalry. And before you know it, you men are dead.

So, how on earth do you get your men to hold position and only fire at the enemy infront of them instead of tracking them accross the map?
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

I read a rumor that Control+Alt+ H will set units to hold defencive stance, but as I've never really cared one way or the other, I've never tested this.

As far as your line enfilade problem, again I've personally had no particular problem but it's a matter of preference and individual indifference. Generally, I use terrrain to block or slow flanking actions and if totally neccessary, I'll position units in square formation on the ends. It has yet to cost me a battle so I've never had an issue with it.

I however have declined to vote regarding Rome:Total War. Since I've started playing IG I've heard a fair bit about this game, but nothing that have made me the slightest bit interested in entering the fellowship of it's devotes. Again, personal preference.
pwaark
Soldier

Post by pwaark »

Cheers, and to do with the vote I just want to know what people think because I believe Rome: Total War is miles above IG and is more refined (though this is to be expected after 3 versions) but I most definatly regard IG as the more "fun".