RTS Total Noob Seeks Advice

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

ytareh
Soldier

RTS Total Noob Seeks Advice

Post by ytareh »

Hi !Im sure there are some hardened RTS veterans here.I just got into this game having installed the demo from a magazine.Im originally into flight sims (mostly Il2).I played that Cyrenaica battle non stop until the shops opened and I could buy the full game!Now the battle of Friedland (Russian side)is my obsession!How ever I am just dipping my toe into RTS and have no interest WHATSOEVER in that stuff involving paper/rock/scissors/gold/food (little men digging!)blah blah blah...I just wanna fight!Maybe in time I will be interested enough to get into the full campaigns just as in the flight sims it takes a while to develop your skills from "instant action " to full realism settings .My main question is ,as I am mainly interested in WW2 can you reccommend a WW2 RTS that is close to Imperial Glory in its gameplay.(or even ww1-I tried the Entente demo and while the "immersion" looked fun the gameplay was terrible I felt).Having tried briefly the Blitzkrieg and Codename panzers2 demos I feel neither is up to IG standard.Ive ordered Frontline Command from Ebay maybe that will be better.Also can you reccomend good RTS tutorial sites or even good Napoleonic era info sites.PS Rome Total war didnt impress me as much as IG and IG is at number 1 in my local Dublin virgin Megastore!!!Thanks a million for the help.
@m
TAFN Staff

Post by @m »

Hiyas,

You might want to read the players guide which we have on the site and is written by forum member Giskard. I'm sure you'll be able to find more tutorial sites if you do a search on google though.

As for WW2 rts you might want to give Commandos a try. It's a great game which is why are site is mainly about it.

You can try the following demo's:

Commandos BEL (the first)

Commandos BTCD (add-on but with many new elements).

There never was an official demo for Commandos 2, you might be able to find something on the net though.

[url=http://www.gamershell.com/download_3407.shtml]commandos 3

I would suggest starting with the first ones as they are the original feel to it :)