BattleMod available for download

Imperial Glory mods, modding tools and more!

Moderator: TAFN staff

Johan EAF274
Soldier

BattleMod available for download

Post by Johan EAF274 »

I am new to this community and thought I'd introduce myself by means of a mod that I made :)

This mod for Imperial Glory v1.1 is a collection of fixes that make the land battles more satisfying (I hope!). The data are by no means meant to be historically accurate (I have no idea what these should be!) but are simply intended to give a more serious feel to the battles.

What this mod does:

- increase unit sizes to 100 infantry, 60 cavalry, 5 artillery
- slightly reduce unit movement and formation speeds
- slightly raise musketry/artillery ranges
- progressively (by range) reduce musketry and arillery accuracy
- make light infantry faster and give them longer range
- slightly reduce AI tendency to start infantry melee
- reduce AI tendency to build militia, howitzers and light infantry

The idea for most of these fixes were taken from the Eidos Imperial Glory forum. I simply compiled them into a mod. The real credit goes to people like Icanus, Godkin, OldBean, OfficerPuppy and others who came up with the ideas.

Download here (version 1.1): http://users.pandora.be/johan_eaf274/do ... Modv11.zip

I'll also upload it to the TAFN site if that is ok.

Hope you enjoy it!
Last edited by Johan EAF274 on Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
@m
TAFN Staff

Re: BattleMod available for download

Post by @m »

Johan EAF274 wrote:I am new to this community and thought I'd introduce myself by means of a mod that I made :)
Hi and welcome.
Johan EAF274 wrote:I'll also upload it to the TAFN site if that is ok.
Well I uploaded it as I don't think you have access to our server ;)

Nice work!
Johan EAF274
Soldier

Post by Johan EAF274 »

Ah I was looking for the "upload here" button. Thanks :)
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

I've been waiting for a mod like this, I just tried it out and loved it. :) Is there any way to add melee attributes to arty?
Johan EAF274
Soldier

Post by Johan EAF274 »

Officerpuppy wrote:Is there any way to add melee attributes to arty?
Do I sense a merger with your artillery mod? :)
I haven't touched the melee values. In any case you'll need Icanus' unit stat editor for this.

There seem to be a few values that govern melee combat. I'm not sure what the "min/max damage hand to hand" values do. They are not present for infantry units.

(example: 12 pounders)
2564 uPrecCue: 60 * Accuracy of Hand to Hand attacks
2568 uPrecCar: 70 * Acuuracy of Charge attacks
7452 uDanCueMin: 100 * min damage hand to hand
7456 uDanCueMax: 200 * max damage hand to hand

compare with values for line infantry:
252 uPrecCue: 90 * Accuracy of Hand to Hand attacks
256 uPrecCar: 90 * Acuuracy of Charge attacks

I haven't found a way yet to change the unit formations so the line formation looks a bit messy with 100 men :(
ytareh
Soldier

Post by ytareh »

Hi and welcome to another IL2/FB fan!I have individually changed many of the factors you listed using Icanus and Godkins methods.Do you have a readme which lists figures for your changes.I have unit sizes you have .Also slight increase in muskets range but double rifle range.I have not made Light Infantry faster ,were they that much more so in reality?Did you change Arty range?THAT really changes the game -not always for the better-even though it is the most "unrealistic" setting in game.
Johan EAF274
Soldier

Post by Johan EAF274 »

The changes I made were rather minimal because I don't want to upset the game balance. I'm sure they can still be improved.

- Infantry: added 10m to all musket ranges, accuracy 80 40 20
- Light infantry: added 10m to musket/rifle range (20m to max range); accuracy 90 50 20
- Dragoons: added 20m range, accuracy 70 40 20: I figured that, being on horseback, they would have better range but worse accuracy
- Artillery: added about 20m range, accuracy 50 40 30
- Lowered all movement speeds (all values substracted by 20 to 60): militia will be relatively slower, horse artillery relatively faster. Square formation is slightly slower.

I wanted to make light infantry more useful in the game by giving them better range and speed. This reflects their role as skirmishers (which isn't modelled very well in the game).
Hengist
Soldier

Post by Hengist »

Hey Johan,

Did you manage to reproduce the unit issue I mentioned over at SimHQ?
Johan EAF274
Soldier

Post by Johan EAF274 »

Sorry I haven't had time to look at it yet. It'll be something for the weekend.

Anyway:
If anyone knows if there is a limitation to the number of soldiers on the battlefield, or knows how to change this limit, please post it here
Johan EAF274
Soldier

Post by Johan EAF274 »

Hengist, I found it...
The cause of the problem was simply a stupid text error on my part :o It happened only with level1 guard infantry.

I have uploaded a new version of the mod: http://users.pandora.be/johan_eaf274/do ... Modv11.zip

Fixes in v1.1:
- level 1 Inf Guard units sizes are now at 100 men
- AI charge tendency now set for all difficulty levels
- reduce AI tendency to build light infantry for North African countries
Hengist
Soldier

Post by Hengist »

Nice one Johan :)
icanus
Soldier

Post by icanus »

Very nice stuff.

I'm currently playing through a campaign with your new settings (slightly modified - I've made it so all infantry have square formation from the start to stop militia/cavalry dominating the ealy game too much).
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

I did not know there was a new version out. I love the work your doing, keep it up. :yes:
Johan EAF274
Soldier

Post by Johan EAF274 »

Cheers Officerpuppy. You're making some great mods too!

I am not really planning to add much more to the mod. Maybe some further tweaking of unit stats or AI behaviour. The only thing I would really like to add is better tactical formations, but I don't know how to mod these yet.

If anyone has ideas for further improvement, they are welcome to do it :)
ST0MPA
Sergeant

Post by ST0MPA »

we need to work out how to make a colum fire on the move, so the french can have their pas da charge thingy :yes:
Some people are like Slinkies, not good for much, but they manage to bring a smile to your face, when you push them down a flight of stairs.
i joust
Soldier

Post by i joust »

joahn, i downloaded the link you had for the battle mod but after it downloads how do i get it active in the game? All i get is a battlemodv11 folder that has game and gamemod folders inside. WTF do i do now?
Ares6735
Soldier

Post by Ares6735 »

I was wondering if anyone could possibly tone down the militia's unit stats.... or tell me how I could do so because as much as I love the BattleMod, i dont enjoy having militia that fight exactly as good as line infantry... so where could I find that unit editor, and how hard is it to change this kind of thing?
Johan EAF274
Soldier

Re: ...

Post by Johan EAF274 »

Ares6735 wrote:I was wondering if anyone could possibly tone down the militia's unit stats.... or tell me how I could do so because as much as I love the BattleMod, i dont enjoy having militia that fight exactly as good as line infantry... so where could I find that unit editor, and how hard is it to change this kind of thing?
Working on this for v1.2 which should be ready for release soon :)
I am finetuning all the unit stats so that every unit has more pronounced strengths and weaknesses.

Also, I am editing the AI behaviour in the campaign so that the AI nations build more balanced armies.
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

Any progress?
Johan EAF274
Soldier

Post by Johan EAF274 »

I'm writing up the readme at this very moment :)
xXxElDiablo
Soldier

Post by xXxElDiablo »

I cant get it to work. I did what it said to do in the readme.txt but My infantry are still 60 men and calvery are 36. I could use some detailed help for a noob with modding IG.
Thanks,
ElDiablo
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

If installed properly, you can start a new game and see the changes immiediately, or while playing a saved game, any new unit rasied will have the new unit #'s.
Roadkill
Soldier

Formation AI

Post by Roadkill »

-I've been using the BattleMod for some time now and I've noticed something very annoying. When moving an infantry unit they never seem to stay in formation. I can understand it when thet're running but even when walking they break up and use 5-10 secs getting back in formation when they stop. This means that even if you are very far away from a militia unit when your unit stops it can't fire more than one volley before the militia reaches it. The single most annoying part is when one soldier in your unit has bewildered himself to the other side of the formation and when you stop he starts walking across the formation..... The formation won't fire until everyone's in their respective positions.

-So.... Is there any way of fixing this? Maybe forcing units to stay in formation or something? I'm starting to lose hair over here sue to the stupidity of the soldiers.
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

Unfortuntely because the formation is larger the soldiers take a longer time to get into formation which is dumb since sometimes you have 90% of your guys ready except for 10 guys who are still walking to the end.

I'm not sure if its been tried or even possible to speed up the movements of the soldiers in the game without having to use the time compression.