Which file is it?

Discussion of the original groundbreaking Commandos games (Commandos BEL, BCD, C2 and C3)

Moderator: TAFN staff

Twitch
Soldier

Which file is it?

Post by Twitch »

Sick weren't you saying you had found how to control thing like enemy patrols and such? Say you want those nazi chaps in Night of the Wolves marching around outside the wall to be in Das Boot. Which file is it?
Image You take the one to port and I'll take the starboard one, Johnny- Don Gentile 1944
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

First you must download some stuff from this thread:
http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21

If you place the decoded Commandos 2 files in the DATA folder you don't need to decode anything yourself. All can be openend with a text editor.
If you check DATA\MISIONES\Misiones.dat you will find out that SB_NOCTURNA.MIS belongs to Night of the Wolves and SB.MIS to Das Boot: Silent Killers. That are the files you want to edit. They can both be found in DATA\MISIONES\SB.

Now it gets a bit tricky to explain. If you scroll thorugh the files you see that it can be devided into different parts. Each part starts with a name, then an opening bracket, loads of text and possibly sub-parts, then a closing bracket. Here is an example:

Code: Select all

.BEGIN_OF_PART1
[
   .TEXT1
   .TEXT2
   .BEGIN_OF_SUB-PART1
   [
      .BEGIN_OF_SUB-SUB-PART1
      [
         .TEXT3
      ]
   ]
]
.BEGIN_OF_PART2
[
   # A sentence starting with a # will be ignored by the game. Useful for comments.
]
Note that not all parts have [ and ] brackets but sometimes ( and ) brackets.
Definitions for a patrol go between:

.ENTES
(
)

If you copy the text between this part and paste it into the .ENTES part in SB.MIS you'll have the patrols from NOTW in DB:SK. You might want to change some things such as coordinations. Have a look at the code and test with changing things. It's easy.
I can't verify that it works, need to reinstall the game.

I should make some tutorials. :yes:
Jovan
TAFN Staff

Post by Jovan »

# sounds like python comments :|
Twitch
Soldier

Post by Twitch »

Ok I'll try that. Is TAFN going to have any downloads? Modded missions as described above would be good thing to have.
Image You take the one to port and I'll take the starboard one, Johnny- Don Gentile 1944
@m
TAFN Staff

Post by @m »

Twitch wrote:Ok I'll try that. Is TAFN going to have any downloads?
Yes. I already set up a category for mods in which I placed your sound mod.
Twitch
Soldier

Post by Twitch »

That's fine, but since sick has a handle on modding these files I wish he'd made some for download. I modded Night of the Wolves so Natasha and Thief can tie/gag changing the whole mission once she gets hold of sniper rifles. I will certainly make that available if desired. Image