Demo Review by Iakovos

Discussion of Pyro Studios' Commandos game in tactical shooter style.

Moderator: TAFN staff

Boself
Soldier

Demo Review by Iakovos

Post by Boself »

Hi, I know there are already a lot of CSF Demo topics here, but I wanted one specifically for the review submitted by Iakovos. I know he is a respected member of the community and a long time fan of the Commandos series. I myself am less respected, unknown under this name although I am member of the CDZ forums, but a huge fan aswell.

I myself was unable to play the demo due to some gfx problems which I still haven't sorted and I am not that eager anymore to do so, judging from the info I get and the opinions I have read.

When reading the review I get the idea that Iakovos has been paid by Pyros or Eidos (this is of course sarcastic).

First of all, an FPS with tactical or strategic elements isn't new at all, although I. keeps going on about it on page 1 of the review and on page 2 hails the demo for the way how you can use the knife. Does the Hidden and Dangerous series ring a bell? HD2 (and expansion) gives you an FPS (you can also play the game through a 3d person view) with 32 missions (BIG missions) with 100% freedom how to tackle your objectives, a Tactical Map to plan your attacks if you wish, a huge armoury from which to pick the guns you think necessary after your briefing, a lot of RPG elements... and this without compromising on the tactical/strategic side of the game. CSF looks and telling from the info and opinions I gathered plays like COD/MOH with only some strategic elements.

The second thing I wanted to mention (to keep it general) is the lack of realism which doesn't seem to bother I. I have no idea how other commandos fans think about this, but realism is for me a must. You could say Commandos was never really about realism and I could only agree to a degree. In Commandos you could never go gun's blazing, you had to use some tactics, set up ambushes, had to be deadly precise on your timetable etc. The realism was however hampered imo because of the design of the game. Going 3D opens up huge possibilities, also on realism aspect, which afaic haven't been used. Furthermore if you want to distinguish CSF from the brainless lineair shooters like COD and MOH realism was the way to go. The thing I can't understand is how I. doesn't seem to bother about this:
Bullet time. Indeed this is the very first time that you do not need to actually hold your own breath in order to do a nice killing… at a distance.
What is difficult or wrong about holding your breath, you want the sniper to auto aim for you? You can't shoot decent without something as silly as bullet time?
Double the bet… double the fun! GB carries two weapons at a time on both hands, and that sounds too sweet to be true. But it is!
Is this the green beret, the one with his knife and decoy we knew, or is it Rambo? Judging from the trailers I've seen you don't seem to get much recoil when dual wielding and shooting even if you run at the same time! Come on! I know they are MP40's but that is just ridiculous. If I want something as stupid as dual wielding I'll buy some crap like UT.
Useful memorabilia that brings tears into my eyes: The voice of the GB is the same as in the previous games. Just thanks for that, Pyro!
So they didn't even bother to get a new voice actor when they changed the look of every commando and said that they were totally new commandos?
Bodies disappearing. That seems ok at the start, as it would be a bit strange to move around with a body on your back, but it seems that as the bodies disappear, their equipment disappears too. In addition, if you kill someone (like an officer), then move away to do something else, and then move back, he dissolves into thin air and you cannot use his uniform anymore. There can be no second thoughts on bodies in this game.
How can it ever seem OK? What is the bloody point in sneaking around if the corpses dissapear. You kill a man, drag his body in a dark corner, behind a crate, inside a shed, whatever, but the body shouldn't dissapear!
Some minor enemy A.I. tweaks. Enemies cannot see you although you are in front of them and they do not react behind corners, although you have just killed someone in front of them. Perhaps this is just a script thingy.
Minor? MINOR?

Some other things I picked up here and there:

The ingame interface:
Why is half the screen covered with stupid compasses, caracter info, etc. When you compare a screenshot of COD2 with a CSF screenshot you'll have to conclude that even COD2 isn't as littered with stupid info as CSF.

Crosshairs going red when aiming at an enemy:
Is this a game for retarded people?

Healing on the run:
LOL

In short: Imo they fucked up bad again. C3 was huge dissapointment and unfinished game. With CSF they had the possibility to set things straight again and give the commandos fans a good game. They choose a new public though, selling out to games like COD and MOH. The result is a mix between HD and COD/MOH which, I think, won't appeal to many people (At least I hope it won't, Pyro shouldn't get away with such crap (again!)).

How Iakovos just accepts this and is even enthousiastic about it is beyond my comprehension.

Regards
Rutam
TAFN Founder

Post by Rutam »

Agreed, personally even I am not a huge fan of 2D>3D transitions.... I would care less for the gameplay issues you stated there if the new games had even an iota of "art" the older games had...

Every inch of C1 to C3 was hand drawn and painted.. every frame in the game would look like a painting, those were the days ;)
... it isn't the same with CSF :(

And it's not just the commandos series, it's happening everywhere.. I enjoyed CaesarIIIs 2D gfx.... and Syberia1-2 were at the absolute peak when it came to drawing backdrops by hand..
with 3D it becomes way to technical, and loses the "human" touch.
@m
TAFN Staff

Re: Demo Review by Iakovos

Post by @m »

Boself wrote: When reading the review I get the idea that Iakovos has been paid by Pyros or Eidos (this is of course sarcastic).
I know it's sarcasm but that sentence is being used more and more (the paid thing) it's seems to be popular nowadays to use it the moment someone actually posts something positive. I'm not directing this to you specificly as on the gamespot forums it's even worse. The moment someone posts something positive there or *gasp* says he/she likes the game he/she is called a plant or a spy from the publisher/developer :roll:

Anyway opinions just tend to differ.

Boself wrote:What is difficult or wrong about holding your breath, you want the sniper to auto aim for you? You can't shoot decent without something as silly as bullet time?
It's fun to use, slow mo deaths. Not realistic, just fun.
Boself wrote:Bodies disappearing. That seems ok at the start, as it would be a bit strange to move around with a body on your back, but it seems that as the bodies disappear, their equipment disappears too. In addition, if you kill someone (like an officer), then move away to do something else, and then move back, he dissolves into thin air and you cannot use his uniform anymore. There can be no second thoughts on bodies in this game.
Strange indeed but they wouldn't do this without a reason.

Boself wrote:Crosshairs going red when aiming at an enemy:
Is this a game for retarded people?
It's also in COD2 and probably a gazillion of other games..
Boself wrote:In short: Imo they fucked up bad again. C3 was huge dissapointment and unfinished game. With CSF they had the possibility to set things straight again and give the commandos fans a good game. They choose a new public though, selling out to games like COD and MOH. The result is a mix between HD and COD/MOH which, I think, won't appeal to many people (At least I hope it won't, Pyro shouldn't get away with such crap (again!)).
All due respect to your opinion but I prefer to judge a game after I played it :)

Personally I found it fun of course it's very different than the original Commandos but it's like comparing apples and oranges. Either way Pyro could either continue to push out sequels using the formula (which after the dissapointing C3 wasn't the way to go) or come up with something else which they did as opposed to starting a milk machine like the sims or tombraider. Yes 3D seems to be the rigeur nowadays which isn't always good for games but again it was still fun it's not the same.

Do let us know what you think of the game when you managed to play the game.
Rutam
TAFN Founder

Post by Rutam »

I have a feeling, CSF will be an amazing Co-Op game.... esp. on all stealth maps :)
Bertie
TAFN Staff

Post by Bertie »

Boself, just because you don't like the review Iakovos posted doesn't mean you have to pull it apart. Fair enough you don't agree, but instead of having a go at Iakovos I suggest you talk about the game, not making it into an Iakovos is wrong post. If you don't like the game, then don't buy it, but don't criticise people for having their own opinions.
Bertie
Boself
Soldier

Post by Boself »

@m wrote:Strange indeed but they wouldn't do this without a reason.
The reason being?
@m wrote:It's also in COD2 and probably a gazillion of other games..
My point exactly, COD2 is a game for retards.
@m wrote:All due respect to your opinion but I prefer to judge a game after I played it :)
Perhaps, but after the dissapointment Commandos 3 was...
@m wrote:Do let us know what you think of the game when you managed to play the game.
Will do :)
Bertie wrote:but don't criticise people for having their own opinions.
You totally missed the point. I criticize Iakovos for his opinion, not for having an opinion.
Bertie
TAFN Staff

Post by Bertie »

That's what I'm saying, don't criticise his opinion, as thats all it is - it's HIS opinion. The fact that yours differs doesn't make either of you right or wrong, so don't have a go at him for it.
Bertie
Boself
Soldier

Post by Boself »

Bertie wrote:That's what I'm saying, don't criticise his opinion, as thats all it is - it's HIS opinion. The fact that yours differs doesn't make either of you right or wrong, so don't have a go at him for it.
I don't have a go at him for it :s
And since when can't you criticize an opinion? Also in my post I never said I was right and he was wrong. I brought up a few things with which I don't agree or which I find strange.

You make no sense at all, first I can't criticize people for having an opinion (which I didn't) then I shouldn't say he is wrong (which I didn't) and I shouldn't have a go at him (which I don't).
How about you not having a go at me, for my opinion.
iakovos
Commandos Staff

Post by iakovos »

Hello Boself,

I am always looking forward to receiving any feedback on what I write, especially from other fellow commando fans as well. Further more, I do not consider myself an authority figure on everything concerning pc games. I am a huge fan of the commando series and that is the only needed common ground between us concerning this series. Everything else is secondary and not important, so you do not need to be respected or known. In other words, I consider you an equal fan.

Seeing from your point of view, I understand you have already decided not to play the game. Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion, I am sure and if you consider that it will be wastes of your fun time, by all means, do not play it. I sincerely hope you will bypass your gfx problems, in order to experience at least what you have missed. Because you are commenting without having really played the game.

Frankly, the answer to your sarcastic remark (if it was true, I would not be offended, but delighted…), which does not offend me btw, is that Pyro or Eidos is not paying me for my thoughts. That certainly does not mean that I am writing from a biased point of view (everything Pyro does is SUPERB!!!). I enjoyed the demo, wrote a brief review of the demo and that is what got online.

OTOH, I am not sorry to disagree by saying that a strictly FPS with full tactical and strategic elements in it is something new. H&D and H&D 2 are not strictly FPS, that’s why I do not mention this particular series. Both of them (the full game and the expansion) allow you to play by using a 3rd person view as well and an overhead map. CSF does not do that. It allows you in general to go to a 3rd person view, but that is not usable as you play. You cannot move in 3rd person view, fire your weapons or do anything else apart from overlooking corners. And there is not a full overhead map to use. Or three cameras to manipulate for your advantage. Plus, as you say and I quote: “…an FPS (you can also play the game through a 3d person view)…a Tactical Map to plan your attacks if you wish… a lot of RPG elements…etc.”, it seems that the truth was that in order for H&D to work, the developers had to move outside the field of classical First Person Shooters, thus they created a hybrid of sorts. CSF -it is the general truth- plays and feels like COD/MOH, because it is clearly a FPS, but differentiates itself from them without going outside the genre.

Additionally, the H&D series could have been better in many ways, but unfortunately was filled with bugs and glitches, real glitches (unlike the ones experienced in the CSF demo) like floating squad members, path finding problems, disappearing weapons in first-person mode etc. both on demo and full game versions, plus the interface of H&D was ridiculous at best, in comparison to real time FPS. H&D was much more of an RPG with that double interface of strategic and action mode than of a real FPS. In a real FPS you plan, as you go, not beforehand. The CSF demo shows that you can plan in real time, as you go.

Excuse me to disagree once more, but the lack of realism is on all pc games in general and especially FPS. We are talking about games, not real life. In real life you get killed by a single bullet, your weapon can become inactive during combat and there are 1.000 reasons more how this “realism” cannot be transferred into a game, one of them being that there is no reload/save in real life. If lack of realism really bothered me, then I would not have been playing computer games in general. If that is the right way to interpret the “they should have used realism” you mention. For me, personally, CSF has indeed a realistic game factor in it, as it creates different paths for you to finish a mission. I see that you ignore my comments on having the ability to use tactics in the game. Why you do not comment on that I cannot comprehend. So far the only really linear thing I have seen is the second mission with the spy, which mission is a tutorial, thus being unimportant to comment on, but even there you can go outside the mission parameters and do different things that the ones suggested. If you mean something else, please explain. Of course, the huge difference between the strategy series and the first person shooter series is that the second relies on action more. That is understandable. What is not understandable is why you do not find it positive that CSF has strategy as well in it.

Now, on with your criticism and your particular pointers:

On bullet time:

It seems that you misinterpreted what I actually wrote. I do not say it is difficult or wrong to hold your breath. The “holding your breath” before you shoot routine, in order to steady your aim, is a new feature into FPS, which I generally like. So far I have seen it applied in COD 2, by pressing the shift key. What I am saying is that even with this routine, your aim is not steady and leads to not shooting decent. In COD 2 you have to use it obligatory in order to aim, as the rifle did not “stay” steady without it. The bullet time feature in CSF corrects this and creates a cool effect (the bullet going faster than the eye effect). I do not find it silly. It is something new for WW2 FPS. Besides, you can always play the game without bullet time, which is something important too as you can shoot decent still without it (the rifle “stays” steady).

On dual wielding:

Again this is something new in WW2 shooters. So far I have seen that there is recoil on all weapons, including the double wielding. Which seems to be realistic. The non-realistic bit about double wielding is the reloading… there the GB was into... Matrix mode. But this is another new feature, which I liked. You do not have to agree with me on everything you know. Besides, the GB has muscles to actually carry barrels full of petrol… he can’t use two guns? C’mon! And again, this feature is used by choice of the gamer.

On the voice of the GB:

On that particular note your comment is simply ridiculous. Personally I felt really excited when I realized it was the same voice. Are you a commando’s fan or not?

On bodies:

Excuse me here, but I do have stated in the past that I was not into agreement with abandoning this feature from the original. The carrying body around goal was something extremely important on the commandos’ series. It was a choice that Pyro made beforehand for the game. It seems ok for me now, as you do not have the tactical advantage of an overhead map. You cannot see where every German soldier is located now, including those inside buildings, thus you cannot time patrols and such, as before. I have played COD 2 with the feature “body corpses… ridiculous” enabled. Personally, I like to move in an area I have been and see the corpses of the ones I have just taken out. Still, this is a company’s choice beforehand, so I cannot argue about it now by saying that “bodies should stay”. They don’t so they don’t. If I had the choice, I would like them present, but this is not the case. Pyro seems to have concentrated on sneaking around and not being noticed by men who are alive and not being noticed by men when you perform the killing. After you dispose of them, the game gets easier from a tactical perspective.

On A.I. tweaks:

Yes, this is minor, as it does not happen all the time. I haven't experienced any other really major bug. And since we are talking about the DEMO, I cannot compare it still with the full game.

On the interface:

Every game (not only FPS) has an on screen interface. Comparing the CSF interface to COD 2’s, I can say that there is not much difference. I could say on the other hand that the CSF’s interface is less littered like in other games. The compass can be used to know where you are on the map; the character info is about which commando you are in charge of etc. Again, this is a difference of opinion. And not a disadvantage on how you play the game itself.

On crosshairs:

Crosshairs become red on the enemy and blue on allies. The difference is -unlike COD or MOH- that you can still shoot both. The crosshairs do not lock so unrealistically as in COD/MOH and the game does not go into “friendly fire will not be tolerated, mission failed” mode. The realistic bit is that your allies die… they are not supermen as in other shooters.

On healing:

What do you mean healing on the run?

Conclusions: IMHO, you are commenting on something you did not experience yet. If you did, I apologize. But for me C3 was not a disappointment, a position that I have debated with other fans as well. C3 had its shortcomings but was still a nice looking game. As CSF is concerned, for me personally, it certainly does not take elements from H&D or COD/MOH. It feels like the latter, does not have any connection with the former and is different to all.

To answer your last comment, I am enthusiastic about it because CSF feels so much like the old commandos. An idea that I thought was not possible in the FPS genre. For me the demo is too short to really decide on everything. I have to check the full version to make my mind up. But still, it looks like a good game to me.

Best regards,
Iakovos:)

PS. If you consider COD 2 a game for retards, then you do not like FPS in general, methinks.
"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once
in a while, or the light won't come."
ISAAC ASIMOV
Spy25
Commandos Staff

Post by Spy25 »

wow. Someday Iakovos, I hope to grow up to be just like you :D
For now take care of yourselves
Rutam
TAFN Founder

Post by Rutam »

Spy25 wrote:wow. Someday Iakovos, I hope to grow up to be just like you :D
:D

Anyway Boself & Iakovos, we all like the spirit of debating on the forums ( and to see a debate after such a long time, my pupils just enlarge everytime I check this topic ), but keep any personal grudges off of this. Let it be unbiased suggestions and crits.. for both Eidos & Pyro do have a look at these boards and pick up new ideas and suggestions for gameplay tweaks.

So any and all feedback, positive/negetive irrespective, if backed by sound reason is good feedback.
Rutam
TAFN Founder

Post by Rutam »

Boself wrote:
@m wrote:It's also in COD2 and probably a gazillion of other games..
My point exactly, COD2 is a game for retards.
:twisted: That is like questioning the intelligence of almost everyone in the gaming sphere.

Though I'd like to know which games would you suggest... which are not retarded or slightly less if the former is non-existent.
Boself
Soldier

Post by Boself »

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply. Busy times here working for uni. I'd like to point out, if it isn't clear that I hold no personal grudges to anyone. Everything I said and will say shouldn't be taken personal. I probably say things in a way that is too harsh, especially since this medium is a bit restricted.
Anyways,

@ Iakovos concerning HD2:

The thing is if you want it to be a FPS and one where you plan as you go along it is that. If you wish to use the 3d person view, use the tactical map, plan ahead you can do that aswell. It gives the player a huge amount of freedom. If you say "H&D and H&D 2 are not strictly FPS" that is because you haven't played them in a strictly FPS way.

The games were indeed riddled with bugs and glitches, most of them however (in HD2 and exp) are gone thanks to the patches. (The original HD has a deluxe version with no bugs at all which is free for download!)

on realism: Of course games aren't and can never be 100% realistic. However I like my games to be as realistic as possible, this is imo opinion a must if you use historical settings and missions which coincide with actual events.

on strategy and tactics: It just isn't enough afaic (although the full game isn't out yet).

on bullet time: For me bullet time just doesn't fit in this kind of game. If it was for the cool effect they could have done as in Max Payne (2?) where you kill an enemy and you see the action in slow mo from a different angle right after it. Bullet time takes the fun and difficulty out of sniping. If you mean by "the rifle stays still" that you don't have scope drift, than that's another thing on the con-list.

On dual wielding: Again for me it doesn't fit in this kind of game. With all these little things the developers just try to attract the big public and most of the time that means originality, quality have to pay.

On the voice of the GB: How is my comment ridiculous? Why do they say we get 3 totally new commandos who look nothing like the old ones and then give only one of them (I'm assuming this since you haven't mentioned the voice of the sniper or the spy) the voice of an old commando. That doesn't make sense.

On bodies: Well imo you are to soft on them for this huge mistake. "After you dispose of them, the game gets easier from a tactical perspective." why is this a positive thing? The fun thing about BEL and BCOD was the fact that they were damn hard to complete, the fun thing about C2 was the endless ways how to complete a mission. In CSF both seem lost.

On A.I. tweaks: Point taken

On the interface: Imo CSF is worse off than COD2 (two bottom halfs of screenshots, the green compass line on the top of the CSF ss makes it definetaly more cluttered)

On crosshairs: Not enough (In HD2 you can shoot who ever you want, everyone can die and the crosshairs are always white)

On healing: I read you can heal on the run, instead of finding cover and taking time to heal, might be a mistake :)

Last thing: I don't think you can say that CSF and HD are unrelated. Specialized teams go behind enemy lines and accomplish objectives. This in a way that the player can largely decide by himself although stealth and sneaking is sometimes a must. On other occasions you can set up large scale ambushes.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention, why do they make a game about British elite units and don't include British weapons?
EDIT2: A second thing I forgot to mention: Since when is a panzerfaust a re-usable weapon? Third: running and shooting an MG 42? In your dreams.

@Rutam: I might sound like a fanboy, but if you haven't played Hidden and Dangerous (2) yet it is time to do so. As I pointed out above, HD Deluxe (a reworked HD1 without the bugs) is free for download. You can find several mirrors here
Rutam
TAFN Founder

Post by Rutam »

H&D was cool, but calling COD2 retarded was too harsh a way to put forth any criticism, It'd be like calling "The Shawshank Redemption" a really bad movie ( what hurts more is that something so popular and widely acclaimed is being debated and belittled by words like 'retarded' )

There is a certain reason why so many gamers enjoyed COD2, so let everyone enjoy their piece of the gaming pie.. although it wasn't perfect, I am not exactly a rebel or a revolutionary to call each one of those who enjoyed COD2 a retard just because H&D was better.....let everyone have fun.

... Anyway rating games in general is a subjective matter at best, so to each his own.. ( I know people who are fans of Postal... so it is a wide wide gamut of interests :) )

At times even the 16bit side scrollers are fun... is that in your books a retarded behaviour? :)
Bertie
TAFN Staff

Post by Bertie »

Boself wrote:How about you not having a go at me, for my opinion.
I don't have a problem with you having an opinion, I have a problem with the way you have expressed it, with no prior playing of the game. There's always going to be someone who thinks differently to you, and you chose to pick on Iakovos purely because his thoughts have been posted.

And yes feel free to reply telling me something to contrary and how I'm contradicting myself or something, but my thought on the matter (as I expect most people's is) is that your posts have not been in keeping with the good nature of this forum, and I ask you politely (as a member of this forum) to post in a less (apparent) argumentative way in the future.

And also welcome to the site

Cheers
Bertie
ss786
Sergeant

Post by ss786 »

Hey boself, iakovos wrote accurate info about game and I think his review is an excellent review (possibly the best I have read). I do not know what you actually want from Pyro. You are blaming them for keeping GB’s voice similar like c3. The new commandos are smarter than they ever were. Commandos Strike Force is really going to be another damn fine game by Pyro. The music, graphics, gameplay everything are fantastic and I think CSF will be particularly famous for its story as the demo only comprises two “sub missions”, we have no idea about the main story which will comprise so many suspense, surprise, twist etc. and I think in the main game, there will more than 30 sub missions like the demo. It will be pretty lengthy. You must know that Pyro Studios mission is to develop video games with highest possible quality and they will not make something similar like other traditional “gun and run” games. Commandos is commandos and HD & cod, moh is HD & cod, moh. Csf is about controlling an original elite commando group. In previous versions, commandos series was confined only commandos. Now they have become the best elite of allied army so it is more fun and exciting. You are also criticizing the AI. Careful now. Many people do not know how to play commandos. So Pyro has to sell its games otherwise it will not be able to make any more games. That’s the reason I think they have made it easy in the easy difficulty level. But hard level is always open for challenge lovers like me. And if you want more challenge, write and make a list of things you want to get back in CSF. I will cheerfully try them by modding after completing the game. Disappearing bodies also made me disgusted. Although somewhere in the @m’s GME report he wrote, “The reason of bodies disappearing is to keep the age rating down”, but I reckon they did it because you cannot carry or, drag dead bodies so alarm will be raised if dead body was left open for the other enemies to see. Double MP40 is an excellent feature of the game and GB has always had extra muscles to take care of heavy weapons so there is no point saying that they did for attention. And the interface is cool too. And your comment about the ways of finishing missions made me quite puzzled. There are endless ways to complete missions in CSF. So my final comment is Commandos was commandos, is commandos and will be commandos. Wait till the full game and play it and your tone will change in no time. Anyway, why did you say c3 was a disappointment? In my opinion, it was an excellent game.

I have already rated this overwhelming game 10/10 but in the next version, I will want these features:

There is no point saying about improving graphics, music & AI since they will do it automatically. I disagree with iakovos in some concerns. Bodies: You have radar. Although you cannot go to scenarios instantly like when we had an overhead map. But if you hide the dead body in a bush or, box or, drop them in water, the enemy won’t be able to see it. If this is implemented in the next version, a lot more hard your pulse will beat too while playing the game. The sniper does not auto aim in the game. But sniping ought to be more difficult in hard difficulty level (like it have been in original war). Csf AI is extremely realistic and it is an extra plus for the game. Pointing on the enemy AI while playing with spy is useless. I also did same thing in c3 and c2 (killed them in front of enemies. Nobody challenged me. It’s actually fun but they can also implement it in the next version.). Although iakovos said, “We are playing. We are not in the real war”. Correct. But realistic ness is a must for me also. Since we cannot directly time travel to 1942 while gaming, we cannot blame people for making unrealistic games. Actually, in gaming, we judge realistic ness of a game by counting how many “clearly visible in eyes” unrealistic stuffs they removed. Many games successfully did it. But commandos are always an over extra in realistic ness and CSF in another one as well even with bodies. AI should be more challenging in hard difficulty levels. This does not mean original. If you want to make it original, you have to spend at least five days designing each character behavior let alone programming. Ability to drive all sorts of vehicles and skill in martial arts will be a plus since it is incredible to believe that the best elite force members of allied army do not know martial art.

An original fan will never loss faith on Pyro. As I am also an original fan, I am looking forward with what they surprise us next time. Commandos series are always surprising and thanks to Pyro for making the wonderful CSF.

Cheers,
ss786.

P.S: Apologies for those rough words. It’s actually a try to make your sense! :)
Blinding ignorance does mislead us.
O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes.
-LEONARDO DA VINCI
iakovos
Commandos Staff

Post by iakovos »

Hi again Boself and ss786,

As I’ve already said in the previous post of mine, no personal grudges taken (or sent). I like to have nice and intelligent conversations and debates with other fans on anything and that’s the main reason I still like to post on forums. The critique is strictly on the opinions at hand, not on the persons themselves. So on we go:

On H&D:

Well, H&D was not a strictly FPS and here is the difference. Besides, Pyro did not want to create a H&D 3 with the commandos logo on it. Apart from that, I did not enjoy the H&D demo, so I never gave it a second chance really. Perhaps in the near future…

On realism: So far it looks realistic to me, so that issue depends on anyone’s point of view.

On strategy and tactics: Same as above, only thing is that we haven’t enjoyed the full game yet to really judge it on tactics. It is only two tiny mini missions!

On bullet time: As above, on realism. For me it is a cool addon. I prefer it seeing it on the rifle scope than as in Max Payne. Again, no need to make a ww2 max payne(!). Even with bullet time sniping is difficult in game. As bullet time doesn’t last long. For me not having scope drift is a plus, not a con-list. Scope drift is so unrealistic in a game, especially when the man is considered to be a marksman and a trained specialist. You don’t have to hold your breath to steady a rifle in real life… it is irrelevant.

On dual wielding: As above, on realism. You don’t like. I like. As in H&D, I didn’t like, you liked.

On the voice of the GB: Yes, that comment was ridiculous. We have 3 totally new commandos and we are hearing now the GB speaking fully now, unlike in the commandos series, where he had one or two lines. For me it’s a huge plus to have the same voice. It ties the old series with the new, although they are different. It is a continuity thing and I like it. It makes sense to the old fans. C’mon, it is great! You should reconsider.

On bodies: For your information, I did not say that this action was positive. But we as gamers cannot do anything about that NOW. It was decided a long time ago. Poor decision, but we cannot call it a disadvantage NOW for the game, as it is not there and should be there. It is just wishful thinking. If there will be mods available with bodies, or if an addon of CSF comes out with that feature enabled, I will be the first in the line to play it.

On the interface: As on realism. The CSF interface does not degrade your gameplay, so it depends on your point of view again.

On crosshairs: Again, since the game is different, you cannot say that the game sucks for being different.

On healing: Nope, you cannot heal on the run. You need medkits and you use them on yourself as well as on others. You are the medicine man now and believe me, that is tough as hell.

On last thing: Yes, I believe you are right. CSF and HD are not unrelated. But since the HD series copied from the commandos’ series and CSF continues that saga, I would say that commandos were there first. So the relevance is not from HD to CSF, but from commandos to CSF to HD.

On British weapons: Beats me. But still you get silenced weapons, unlike in other games. Perhaps in an addon.

On panzerfaust: Well… it is a game, so… still it looks cool.

On MG 42: Shooting yes, running no. But we see that he is only shooting. Not running and shooting. And still it is a dream. But a good dream ;)

Iakovos:)
"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once
in a while, or the light won't come."
ISAAC ASIMOV
ss786
Sergeant

Post by ss786 »

Oh, actually. We are debating also. And I also like CSF than HD. :mrgreen:
Blinding ignorance does mislead us.
O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes.
-LEONARDO DA VINCI