Diplomacy questions from a new player

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

dminoz
Soldier

Diplomacy questions from a new player

Post by dminoz »

I'm getting through my second game of IG (I just got it from Gamersgate).

So far, I'm thinking that it's an excellent game. I'm finding the odd frustration, but nothing that detracts from the overall enjoyment.

I'm playing as Great Britain, and have a few questions about diplomacy.

What makes another empire get PO'd with me? I was working on improving my relationship with Hanover and Portugal, and was having no direct dealings with France or Batavia at all, and yet their sympathy for me was steadily going down. Was it because of my improving relations with Portugal and Hanover, or does the AI just choose a country that's going to hate you, and you can't do anything about it?

Finally first Batavia and then France declared war on me, which is no big deal, because by that time I'd built up a good-sized navy, and France hadn't built one at all, and Batavia's navy was small. Every time a Batavian ship showed up, it went to the bottom.

France, did, however, invade and annex Portugal, which is something I'll have to extract some revenge for at a later date...

Finally Batavia paid me handsomely for peace (one turn after I'd offered them money for peace, but they turned me down. How does that work?)

And then, out of the blue, Russia DOWed me. Again, how does that work? I'd had no dealing with them, although they did, very shortly after declaring war on me, occupy and annex Hanover. Was my 95 sympathy rating with Hanover anything to do with Russia wanting to go to war with me?

I guess my confusion here is whether bad relations with other empires are bought about by my relations with small powers, or whether it's all just arbitrary, and determined by the AI.

Another question: I frequently get told that if I turn down an offered deal, relations with the offering country will suffer, and yet I never see their sympathy rating go down if I refuse the deal. Does that indicate that the movement in sympathy has been so small as to not make a change?

Does the size of a deal determine the amount of change in sympathy?

Also, if I accept a deal, does that mean an increase in sympathy?

Finally, I find it frustrating in a battle that I can't recall a unit once it has entered a melee. They just want to fight to the death. I admire their enthusiasm, but not their common sense. Is there any mod around which affects or minimizes that behavior?
dminoz
Soldier

Post by dminoz »

I've got another question:

When Russia came to me just now asking for peace and offering about 8,000, I hit the 'negotiate' button, to see what would happen, and they came back with a higher offer (about 9,500). I accepted that.

Is there a downside to keeping on clicking 'negotiate'? Is there a danger that they'll come back and say 'stuff you, we're going to keep on fighting'?

Or will their offers just stop rising?

And also, can their offers include territory, or is always just about money?

When I won the battle against Russia in Sweden, I'd already taken Norway, which had been under Russian control. And yet, once I'd accepted the offer of money for peace, Norway reverted to Russian control. Is there any way I could have kept it?

And another question: I chose to liberate Sweden rather than occupy it. So, it re-emerged as a sovereign state. All well and good, but there was also suddenly an alliance between Russia and Sweden. Is this normal? I would have thought that having just been liberated from Russian control, it would be highly unlikely that Sweden would want to ally with Russia straight away? I would have thought that Russia-Sweden relations would be in the toilet...
Flavius Silvanus
Soldier

Post by Flavius Silvanus »

By improving your relations with Hanover, you are becoming more threatening to France and Batavia, this is why your sympathy drops with them.

If you appear weak then, Russia might have thought they could pull a land grab. I play mostly as Prussia, and if I lose a large portion of my army early in the game, everyone is likely to attack me because they perceive me as weak.

If you are in competition with another Empire for a Neutral Country your sympathy may go down.

Sometimes Empires just declare war on you because they covet your territory, though not generally if you have a strong army and are not attacking.

It takes a number of turned down deals to lower your sympathy, just like it takes a number of accepted deals to raise it. NOTE: if your offer of a Defensive Alliance is turned down, then you will lose a point of sympathy with the country you offered it to. I believe it is the number of deals, and not the size that affects sympathy. I do a lot of 50 raw materials for 50 gold early in the game.

You can hit negotiate a maximum of three times. There is the First Offer, Second Offer, and Final Offer. There is not guarantee that there will be a Second or Final Offer. So if you are offered Peace and you hit negotiate, you might not get the offer again.

There is no way you could keep Norway without also taking out Denmark. You need to take Denmark first, or not make peace with Russia until you take Denmark.

Sweden chose to ally with Russia because you are more threatening to them than the Russians are.