Demo feedback

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

@m
TAFN Staff

Demo feedback

Post by @m »

In order to aid the developers it would be useful if we could post our feedback here. But keep it constructive.

You should be able to find it on Gamershell very soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I was a bit surprised that their wasn't a narrator that told you yourmission. Though that's hardly the most important. The camera really takes some time to get used to and get you confused from time to time. It would've been easier if you'd have some more options at your disposal, setting the keys the way you want it. I couldn't find a way to zoom in really close to the action too, but then again I'll have to dig in a bit deeper.

In (for now) conclusion:

Sound and visuals are certainly good, gameplay can be messy due to controls and you don't always have a clear view whether you've selected your troops or not. Though I'll have to replay this at a less late hour :)
Wenesh
Affiliate

Post by Wenesh »

Commandos: Strike Force in Spring 2005 !!!! -.-
one year later, it comes true :)
jrdrums
Lieutenant

I feel stupid

Post by jrdrums »

Could anyone help walk me through how to get it working. I get it downloaded but then I don't know what to do. Sorry if this is a really stupid question! :( :?
David
TAFN Staff

Post by David »

unzip it probably? if you have windows xp, it has zip thing already buiild in, if not download winrar.
jrdrums
Lieutenant

Post by jrdrums »

I got it thanks!

As for the demo... it was awesome! The controlls were a little hard to get used to but the game play and graphics are great! I can't wait for the real game but this will hopefully hold me over for a while :)
Lord Dawson
Soldier

Post by Lord Dawson »

I LOVED IT but i do have to say that the cannons need and i mean NEED an auto fire mode it gets tedious to have to order the cannons to attack individual units it should have auto fire and turn to attack the targets as soon as they come into range. The soldiers were perfectly animated and gorgeous. I love this demo i have played it almost twenty times already butlike i sad make an auto fire mode for the canons PLEASE
No one holds command over me.
No man No god No Prince.
What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal?
What is a claim of power for ones who defy death?
Call your damnable hunt.
We shall see who I drag screaming to hell with me
- Günter Dörn
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

I agree with the cannon observation.

My quirk is the infantry. When you set them up in a line, at least in my game, instead of three lines, one behind the other like this _-_ more or less, they line up like this / more or less. I find myself trying to get them to form a stright line by draging them around which is difficult when under fire.

Is it suppposed to be this way or am I doing something wrong?
Lord Dawson
Soldier

Post by Lord Dawson »

I have played two more times and yes i agree they infantry are hard to stay in a combined formation when they are st up into the formation as the one mention above _-_ and even when you group them tey all move independently and not as a divsion its almost imposible to cover your flanks with the infantry and i find that the cavalry are quite weak in most situations i sent a full squad of hussars against a battered and breaking musketeers in the first battle and somehow without even taking on the square formation they were able to rip them apart. I also find the cannons quite too quickly fell in combat in hand to hand i didnt have a chance to send anyone else against the attakers to help the cannons almost 60 seconds later they were dead and i had lost my entire canon squad
No man No god No Prince.
Call your damnable hunt.
- Günter Dörn
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

Too bad the cannons don't have a range finder feature or something like that. I set up a cannon about 15ft away from the house in the first level, 15ft being the equivilent of what it might be in real life, I could not hit the house, I lost my crew after 5 shots which all missed falling short of the front door. Anyone else notice that when you click on the hand-to-hand combat icon and click the house they don't move in?

I read somewhere that the AI likes attacking the arty. What I did is I set up both cav units and the blackwatch around the arty. When the enemy came they did quick work of them leaving my front line troops open to engage the enemy.

Anyone beat the 2nd level yet?
Lord Dawson
Soldier

Post by Lord Dawson »

as to the hand to hand comment you sould double click the house that forces them to either charge or move and fire if you look at the icon when you move over an enemy you see the gun and sabre 1 click close and fire 2 clicks charge. There is a rangefiner hold the V buttuon and it will show you the range of the unit your controling. And yes i have beaten the second mission alot of times i like it more for me its more my style to set of a defensive position and like General Kutzof of the glorius russian amry says "I will watch as they throw themselves upon us like waves breaking on rocks"
No man No god No Prince.
Call your damnable hunt.
- Günter Dörn
Hurricane
Sergeant

Post by Hurricane »

I have beaten the 2nd level! But i cant say i am to impressed so far by the demo!
There was never a genius without a tincture of madness-Aristotle
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

The demo is real nice but its hard to control units when the battle begin - without pause - the chaos begins quickly on the battlefield and you need to be very patient and skilled to defeat the enemy with using some tactics instead of throwing all your forces in frontal attack. I hope the developers will implement the pause + command in the final version of the game ;]
Invictus
Soldier

Post by Invictus »

I find no frustrations with the camera or control of the game, probably because i havent had any real chance to play it for an extended amount of time... Randomly it seems, my computer studders, and goes to a blank blue screen, which then gives way to an involuntary reboot of my system when ever i play the demo.

Im not sure whether its my video drivers or not, but has anyone else here experienced the same thing?
They are not near my conscience, their defeat does by their own insinuation grow...

Hamlet
HellAngel_666
Soldier

Post by HellAngel_666 »

one of teh reasons for not being able to form strait (more or less) lines is because of units cannot over lap. as seen with the X in the setup period. if your unit is going to overlap another unit it will start to move, look at the availabe space and move somewere else. :roll: . so you have to make SURE that no unit is overlaping when you have them form into postion. this is kinda tedious but can be delt with. the BIG issue is where the unit refuses to "Hold the line" or "Stand to" this makes it so units will fire and turn to fire on the same unit leaving a huge "gap" in the middle

check out more at the if forums
Les The Lionheart
Captain

I agree

Post by Les The Lionheart »

Also reload times are rediculously short . And cannons only have one shell they should have canister , shells and cannonballs. Also you can fire through your own men and it does not hurt them , a bit strange. What is your best casualty rate and ammout of flags the enemy captured , my best is, i lost 56 men and the enemy gained no flags i gained 16 flags and killed 750. This is on Cyrene as Great Britan
God is not on the side of the big battalions but of the best shots.
A hero is a man that is afraid to run away.

Come on lads tis to glory we sail because englands glorious banner shalt always prevail.

A hero is a man afraid to run away.
Shaddickp
Soldier

How to get canons to fire

Post by Shaddickp »

How the hell do you get the canons to fire? I carefully position my batteries, unlimber them, wait for the dumb Austrians to start to attack, but then no matter what I do my canons don't fire. How do you get the lazy sods to kill someone before being slain.
Les The Lionheart
Captain

Put mouse over enemy formation after unlimbered and right click.

Come on lads tis to glory we sail because englands glorious banner shalt always prevail.

caesar01
Sergeant

Post by caesar01 »

I really enjoyed the demo very much, excellent detail. I too had problems on many an occasion with my cannons being lost and even accidentally firing on my troops :shock:

What I really felt was frustrating isthat while the game is in pause mode you COULD NOT overllok the battle map, select units and issue orders, etc.

I really think you should have this option available like in Total war.

What do you guys think? I loved the demo and applaud that such an endeavor as Impeial Glory has finally arrived as a blessing from heaven to us all. Can't wait for some naval action too!! :mrgreen:
Lord Dawson
Soldier

Post by Lord Dawson »

I have alot of questions for this demo i have posted on this topic for a while now but more and more questions come up as i continue to play it.

1. The game looks wonderful and i love the detail level especially the individual unit details because if you look closely individual units have differnt collor hair and even different facial hair and expressions along with muddy uniforms and gloves and wigs.

2.Q. The cannons are a topic of great interest for us as gamers mainly because of the lack of usage and implementation. The cannons are a major favorite of mine personally but there just not easily used they are extremely inacurate evn in optimal range even against homes. Also they are way an i do mean way to easily destroyed in hand to hand combat they can be destroyed before you can get troops there to help attack.

3.Q. As the last post talks about the Naval aspect i too wonder and am a little worried why they wouldnt give a demo of the naval combat as well as the ground campaign. It almost seems as though the developers dont want to show there hand and if nothing else you should buy the game to experience naval combat as never before in a real time strategy game. This is one of the major draws for IG the new interpretation of Naval combat actually fleshing out the battles. Why not make this the forefront of the demo and the normal and common except for the age ground combat. I love the demo but it could have used some navy action not a movie.

4.Q. I am also wondering why the Cavalry becomes so easily destroyed should th infantry take on square formation. I can litteraly have a sucsessful charge become a rout in seconds should the computer decide to change into square at the last second almost right before i hit the lines. While yes this shows intelligence to the computer but it becomes a little upsetting to show the weakness of my troops at the slightest change of formation.

5. I would like to say that at this moment i would buy this game out of the box if it was presented as it is in the demo as much as i have to say about it i trully do enjoy it. It has the rare replayability that is so rare in this day and age. Playing RTW become redundant after a while because the same things always have to hapen but for this game i can easily change up my tactics and have a new game experience each time. Yes in my opinion i like this game more than RTW because this game doesnt need the imense graphics to make it worth while it has the experience that makes it worthy.
No man No god No Prince.
Call your damnable hunt.
- Günter Dörn
Les The Lionheart
Captain

I totally agree with you apart from the fact that charging a sqaure of infantary was suicide , only one english sqaure was ever broken by another country . Against the zulu'z they attack a square of 500 men with 5000 horsemen but still lost most of their men. Of course not all had the iron discipline of the brits so some squares are easier to break . That was the point of having cav art and inf . Force the inf into sqaure with cav destroy it with inf and cannons then finish it off.

Baron Von Lowe
Soldier

Post by Baron Von Lowe »

I think the game has massive promise and needs only a few tweaks but

1. The units in the game move too fast.
--Artillery can unlimber and limber instantaneously!?!?
--A battallion of infantry can go from line to square in 2.1 seconds?!?!
--There is no gamespeed slider?
--Infantry sems to move at 22 miles an hour(though cav seems fine)

2. Gunnery seems unrealistic.(Though I do like the Shrapnel shell the howitzer has)
-- No cannon balls bouncing through the ranks
-- No canister to shred the enemy to jelly

3. No way to see where your units are destined other than a small pin. I like that particullar option in RTW. It allows easier placement during combat.
--Would like to see units hold position and formations I put them in on the march.

4. Naval battle video seems chaotic.
-- I love naval combat games of this era but am a little concerned that if all the ships need to be individually controlled that it will just be a big warcraft like cluster.
--I would suggest having fleet formations. Choosing a flagship that you control and the rest follow it in the formation. With the option of splitting your ships into several fleets each with a flagship you can control.

Just my two cents
"I used to say of him (Napoleon) that his presence on the field made the difference of forty thousand men."
Duke of Wellington November 2, 1831
Lord Dawson
Soldier

Post by Lord Dawson »

In reply to the Lionheart i am a history student in college four years running so i know what your speaking o f but my point was how quickly they could change formation just nas the most recent post has shown. I find hat the speed of infantry when forced to runn is acceptable but because it really does suck to have your aartillery move faster than your infantry on run and you cannot force the artillery to run.

This game has afew little hangups bu as i have repeted in the past post this game is masterpeice a living legend if you will.

1. Need a button to show the ending posisition of the troops as in RTW

2. Need a second demo released for naval combat it seems fishy no pun intended that they still wont release it and only give another video. We know what it looks like but we want to play it guys.

3. Need to tweak the movement speeds and balance them out
No man No god No Prince.
Call your damnable hunt.
- Günter Dörn
Les The Lionheart
Captain

You studied it at uni , gud stuffs . But the formation change is to fast. And why are artillery faster than inf.

Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

yeah, they should put 'speed up time' option like in rome.
caesar01
Sergeant

Post by caesar01 »

What about NOT being able to urvey the land and issue orders during pause mode? This is frustrating!!
Les The Lionheart
Captain

You can't really do much anyway and the video points out all u will see . And half hearted pause modes , they might as well not bother . If you bother you bother well.

Hurricane
Sergeant

Post by Hurricane »

I realy dont see the use of pause and comand option. Do think that in real life you could do that!
There was never a genius without a tincture of madness-Aristotle
Les The Lionheart
Captain

You can't that sucks o well back to the drawing board lads.

caesar01
Sergeant

Post by caesar01 »

The USE IS for the same use it had in the Rome: Total War.

It gives you a chance to overllok the battlefield during pause mode so that we can figure out how not to get our canons destroyed or for a change of tactics or to find an ambush !!
caesar01
Sergeant

Post by caesar01 »

A mark of any good commander is how to best use the terain and knowledge of terrain saves the day.