Preview build looks promising

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Preview build looks promising

Post by Officerpuppy »

Bouncing cannon balls, demo doesn't not have that :wink:
saddletank
Soldier

Post by saddletank »

It does, they just don't bounce very far.

A question for TAFN staff - did the preview copy have a morale system in the land combats? Or was the land battle gameplay the same as in the demo?
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

The same as in the demo. I received my copy on the 14th of April, about a month before the game release, so there was still time to add it to the final game (maybe they had one already, but still needed lots of tweaks before it was implemented, who knows?)
Sappy White
Soldier

Post by Sappy White »

So are infantry still able to get into square formation in 2 secs?

And do they still have to turn the whole formation if the enemy isnt directly in front of them?
War is not about dying for your country, it's about making your enemies die for theirs.
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

The speed of the land RTS portion of the game is likely to be relative to it's place within the larger strategic scope.

I suspect the game is paced to allow a full historical campaign to be played over a few dozen hours of play. If that IS actually the case, then the on-field tactical portion must be by neccessity played at a proportional rate the fits comfortably within that greater scale. Therefore, if it takes 10 months (???) or so, to gather the resources to recruit and train a servicable army, then the game months must of course pass quickly.

But; if it then takes a few hours (or less) to strategically playout those pre-battle months, then the actual battles them selves that would been fought over hours (or days?) must then be scaled down to be played out in minutes.

The tactial level details have been no more or less sacrificed on the rts battlefield map than they have been on the strategic one. If the land battle portion appears simplified that's because is only so large as to fill it's role in the games far, far grander scale. The game is not just to re-fight Waterloo or just Austelitz or just Trafalgar; it's to relive the ENTIRE Napoleonic War.
Iron Chancellor
Soldier

Post by Iron Chancellor »

In theDataBattales.sb
FSCommand/ Game/Gamemode/Batalla/DataBatalla.sb
You can change the cannonballs bouncing, area of damage,and how many bounces. Also you can change the speed of movement over different types of terrain. I've reduced the movement speed on all terrains in addition to lowering the fps .logic(in the FS Command/config.sb)to 6-7 and it seems the speed of troops is more realistic.

I'm still looking for somewhere to change the range, lethality, and armour. also I wonder if you can stop troops from having ability to engage in melee? Only allowing certain troops like Grenadiers and elite troops(Black Watch,Royal Guards,Imperial Guard,etc...)to fight hand to hand.

I changed the Area of Effect for cannonballs and you can wipe out a whole battalion with 1 shot if you widen it enough :shock: :twisted:

I think the cannons need grapeshot/cannister it seems the enemy goes straight for your arty and they are defenseless when enemy get close. It seems you can switch in the naval side what type of ammo.
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

so...what about the in-game movie you mentioned ? :)
could u at least tell us if that would be f.e 5 or 25 minute long ? :)
"Lubię słuchać gdy jest już późno, gdy wszyscy śpią, kiedy gwiazdy lśnią...i jest cichy cały dom..."

"If it quacks like a duck....etc it probably is a duck." - Screamingpalm
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

I eventually got Fraps to work, and also found a very good compressing program (very small file size/good quality.) In total there is 22 minutes and 6 seconds (!!!!) of in-game video footage (seperated over land, sea and management.) I added credits screen with Windows Movie Maker, and while I'm writing this text it is saving the movies now (which will take around 2 hours to complete. :-x)
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

sick wrote:I eventually got Fraps to work, and also found a very good compressing program (very small file size/good quality.) In total there is 22 minutes and 6 seconds (!!!!) of in-game video footage (seperated over land, sea and management.) I added credits screen with Windows Movie Maker, and while I'm writing this text it is saving the movies now (which will take around 2 hours to complete. :-x)
22 minutes and 6 seconds! That is great ! And long! I can heardly wait :P
[Oranje Boven !] [Steady, Aim...............Fire !!]
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

yeah, thanks for the info ! :)
i'm waiting for it :]
"Lubię słuchać gdy jest już późno, gdy wszyscy śpią, kiedy gwiazdy lśnią...i jest cichy cały dom..."

Lord Dawson
Soldier

Post by Lord Dawson »

How much longer i have been waiting since 8pm ;-) whens the movie going up
No one holds command over me.
No man No god No Prince.
What is a claim of age for ones who are immortal?
What is a claim of power for ones who defy death?
Call your damnable hunt.
We shall see who I drag screaming to hell with me
- Günter Dörn
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

yeah, it's hard to wait ;)

edit: still waiting - share us the movie ! ;]

TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Uploading as we speak. ^^
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

excellent :)

is there any possibility that u make another gameplay movie if we really like this one ? :]

TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

No. I've had so many problems getting these ones ready that I don't feel much for making any more. Let's have a look at the mistakes list:

1.) Fraps didn't work (got it to work on another pc)
2.) Windows Movie Maker didn't work (got it to work on another pc)
3.) Made a mistake in credits screen of the land battle movie. Found this out after saving the file (took me another hour to save the file again.)
4.) PC freezed when only 5 minutes left of saving sea battle (took me another hour.)
5.) The compressing tool couldn't read files saved with Windows Movie Maker (had to save all the movies in another format: took me a couple of hours.)
6.) After I uploaded the .zip file I noticed I made a misspell in the readme file. So now uploading again.

I think you understand why I'm not making any more movies. :D
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

Yes i understand that :p :yes:
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

sure ;]

But this one better be worth it :)
Hope u will upload it soon

Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

Raquiem wrote:sure ;]

But this one better be worth it :)
Hope u will upload it soon
.....because we cant wait :lol:
saddletank
Soldier

Post by saddletank »

zzxxcc wrote:The speed of the land RTS portion of the game is likely to be relative to it's place within the larger strategic scope.

I suspect the game is paced to allow a full historical campaign to be played over a few dozen hours of play. If that IS actually the case, then the on-field tactical portion must be by neccessity played at a proportional rate the fits comfortably within that greater scale. Therefore, if it takes 10 months (???) or so, to gather the resources to recruit and train a servicable army, then the game months must of course pass quickly.

But; if it then takes a few hours (or less) to strategically playout those pre-battle months, then the actual battles them selves that would been fought over hours (or days?) must then be scaled down to be played out in minutes.

The tactial level details have been no more or less sacrificed on the rts battlefield map than they have been on the strategic one. If the land battle portion appears simplified that's because is only so large as to fill it's role in the games far, far grander scale. The game is not just to re-fight Waterloo or just Austelitz or just Trafalgar; it's to relive the ENTIRE Napoleonic War.
I understand, and what you say makes complete sense. However a reasonable proportion of the game's buyers will want to just play solo battles and 'refight Waterloo' or will want to fight battles online, and for those environments it would add to the depth of gameplay if sliders were provided to slow down movement speeds, slow down casualty rates, add in morale, and a few other more accurate tweaks.

As the hardcore wargaming community has never yet had a reasonably realistic Napoleonic wargame for the PC that gives real time 3D combat it's such a huge shame to see IG looking so beautiful graphics-wise but failing to enable large battles or add enough depth to interest what would have been your most committed fans.
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Movies are up! Check the main page!
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

I am downloading :D :roll: Ahh damn, still 2 % FASTER! :shock:
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

20% - i'll watch it and then comment tomrrow :]

Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

WoW, nice movie's, and it is also good quality! :shock: :D I like the movie's, especially the land Battle. Thanks for the Nice movie TAFN!
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

yeah, the movies are great :)
thanks for it but now waiting for the full game will be even harder :]

Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

Raquiem wrote:yeah, the movies are great :)
thanks for it but now waiting for the full game will be even harder :]
lol, yeah i know :p really hard. Still 14 days to go untill release.
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

after watching the naval movie I'm wondering is that really so slow ?
is that because of movie quality or system specs... or maybe its much less dynamic than I expected ?

TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

With this many ship you have to act quickly. At some points I found it going too fast, so it really isn't as slow as you might think. :)
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

Raquiem wrote:after watching the naval movie I'm wondering is that really so slow ?
is that because of movie quality or system specs... or maybe its much less dynamic than I expected ?
They are going to fast, i am thinking. I reall time,(200 years ago) they where going much slower. But it is a game, so....
Raquiem
Lieutenant

Post by Raquiem »

In fact u (TAFN staff) do really great job bombarding us with many informations like north african units i've juts read ^^
keep doing the good work and thanks ^^

hunter
Sergeant

Post by hunter »

Ya, i dont even go to the official site anymore, u guys have evrything much early'r and much sooner, and i liked the movie's especially the management 1, thats really important to me :P