Siege

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

Dutch Soldier
Captain

Siege

Post by Dutch Soldier »

Oke, subject; a siege. In RTW you must destroy the walls or you must use siege towers to get the man up the enemy walls so you can capture the town. This was 2000 year ago. In century's a lott of thinks have changed. In the 18th and the early 19th century this wasnt the same. To defend a city, they where building Fortress town's.

"Since earliest history, man has wanted to defend its property. Against wild animals, fire, flooding and against his fellow man.
Houses were being build of stone, to prevent them from catching fire. Holes in the wall were made to shoot arrows through. With merlons on top of the wall, the defenders were protected from enemy arrows and with a moat around the place an enemy first had to pass through that moat. A moat filled with water was even more difficult to pass.
Those castles were able to withstand attackers armed with swords and bow and arrow. However, when gunpowder became available and thus guns with big, heavy shot could fire at a castle, the stone walls could not withstand this battering and could be breached.
When covering those stone walls with earth or sand, shot had little effect. The cannonballs smothered in the earthen wall. Combined with a moat, attacking such a walled town became a difficult proposition. A fort like that or a town with earthen walls was called a “fortress or fortified place”.
The defenders wanted to be able to shoot back at the attacker and make his work more difficult. They found out that if you added fivepointed extensions to the walls (bulwarks), it became possible to cover the whole outside of the fortress and the moat. Those areas were called bastions and in the bastions, underground casemates with gun emplacements were build. This way, for centuries a fortress town adapted with all military development." http://www.vestingmuseum.nl/eng/index.html

Fort Naarden: Image

Is this the same as in Imperial Glory? Will there be fortress that are defending important town's? Or will it the same as in MTW, where the gate's are open. So if you are attacking Paris, you can walk in to the city with out a siege? Maybe i am wrong, because of this pic:

But this isnt correct. Stone walls and cannons?? In the text above it says that they used walls of earth.

Someone can explain this? :x
[Oranje Boven !] [Steady, Aim...............Fire !!]
Sappy White
Soldier

Post by Sappy White »

They say They COVERED the walls with earth and sand, not make walls of sand and earth :p
War is not about dying for your country, it's about making your enemies die for theirs.
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

Sappy White wrote:They say They COVERED the walls with earth and sand, not make walls of sand and earth :p
You know what i mean :p I hope that we see great fortresses in the game, like the picture in my first message.
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Oh yes, there are much more! :D
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

sick wrote:Oh yes, there are much more! :D
Are there forts with fivepointed extensions to the walls (bulwarks)? Or will the forts look like the second pic in my first message? With stone walls?
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

Very likely if both types were historically used, both types will be historically avalible in the game.

I live in Halifax, Canada, and we have citadel of that type that was eventually built:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/images/hcair.gif

But it wasn't started until 1828 and took 28 years to finish...

By then rifled artillery had made it obsolete.

My guess is that the technology to destroy fortresses evolved in occassional leaps and jumps, but the ability to build new fortresses to counter the new weapons took much, much longer. As such, there are going to be times when completely outdated fortifications were still in use against weapons that made them virtually obsolete.

But while on the topic, are their any shoreline battery emplacements (Like Martello Tower's) for Naval coastal defences?
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

zzxxcc wrote:Very likely if both types were historically used, both types will be historically avalible in the game.

I live in Halifax, Canada, and we have citadel of that type that was eventually built:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/images/hcair.gif

But it wasn't started until 1828 and took 28 years to finish...

By then rifled artillery had made it obsolete.

My guess is that the technology to destroy fortresses evolved in occassional leaps and jumps, but the ability to build new fortresses to counter the new weapons took much, much longer. As such, there are going to be times when completely outdated fortifications were still in use against weapons that made them virtually obsolete.

But while on the topic, are their any shoreline battery emplacements (Like Martello Tower's) for Naval coastal defences?
I havent seen screenshots with coastal defences on it. Only sea battle's far from land. I am not thinking they have put that in the game. You can blockade a port without losses , because there are no naval coast defencesses?
I hope not......
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Unfortunately, there are no battles wherein you both fight on land and at sea. Would be a very nice feature since it would give a lot of action!! Maybe some day in a mod. 8)
Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

sick wrote:Unfortunately, there are no battles wherein you both fight on land and at sea. Would be a very nice feature since it would give a lot of action!! Maybe some day in a mod. 8)
Some day :p oke ........
Isledall
Lieutenant

Post by Isledall »

Hmm now this would be nice.... but then again if all the stuff they have now implemented works well.. I will not miss these fortresses :)

Isledall
Lieutenant

Post by Isledall »

your fort is in the game..

just visited Moskou with my Prussian troops....
nasty looking building...

just lucky for me I brought with me my cannons had only to fight some left over line infantry with militia :)

will take a screenshot tonight..... looks good...
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

Can you garrison the towers in the fort located in England? So far it seems like I can only man the main building in the center. Id love to station solders along the walls etc.
Broadside
Soldier

Post by Broadside »

I think you can only mount troops on the walls of the big 18th/19th century fortified towns with bastions and wide walkways. I could not get troops or guns on the walls of the English castle, but you can occupy the buildings. Some of the forts in this game are stunning. Here are two shots of St. Petersburg in Izhora province, one showing troops and artillery on the walls.

Dutch Soldier
Captain

Post by Dutch Soldier »

Wow, cool :shock: hehe, it is finally becoming realistic :p