Speed during battle

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

gterl
Soldier

Speed during battle

Post by gterl »

Gentlemen

Alright I've to confess I'm new here :D .

I've played for a long time Cossacks (all of them but without CossacksII), but IG is/was definitely something I was waiting for!
Got the game yesterday and played ....well almost the whole night :D

One thing intrigued me ....is there a way to set the game-speed during the battle (you know I'm getting old and clicking here and there very fast isn't my thing...)?
Also in the option menue there's a position called 'piece speed' or the like ...what is it for?

thx for your help
....and yes I LIKE this game!!!!

gterl
Isledall
Lieutenant

Post by Isledall »

that slider is for the pieces on the board I presume....
but why not try it out..?

anyway I do not think the battles are too fast... just use pause sometimes to spot if there is a breach about to happen.. look at the minimap and all will be ok.....

cossacksII just sucked... I still find American Conquest wayyy better..

hmmm old and the need for slow games... well keep an eye on Silent Hunter 3 and Hearts of Iron 2... slow and addictive

oh wanna play a good campaign in Imp Glory.. go medium and choose Prussia.. great fun.... although I must say hostillities are getting lower now halfway tech 2 .. I think they acknowledge my formidable tactical skill and army.. lol
gterl
Soldier

Post by gterl »

Thx

Tried out the slider, but could see nothing changing :?
IOTW the battle was still too fast for me....bu I guess this is just a personal flavour

Yup CossacksII isn't rated too nice (hey...me too still playing FB and AC!!)

gt
Isledall
Lieutenant

Post by Isledall »

you will get used to the battles...
first time I played the demo.. I also was like.. this is way too fast...
now I am used to it.... and have no troubles playing those battles.. then again I am a young GOD of only 34 years of age :)
gterl
Soldier

Post by gterl »

37 here :D
thepipe
Soldier

Post by thepipe »

gterl,

I agree, I mean after awhile I got where I can control my men but I still think it would be better if you could slow it down a little or better yet have one speed but be able to pause and give orders. Being use to games where you can do this in Ig I had to learn that I was somewhat limited in what I could do. Elaborate flanking maneuvers and enveloping moves are just too difficult for me to coordinate and pull off (plus b/c units virtually never route in this game there not as important a tactic). However its still hard since my finely drilled Prussian army seems to like to do things like adjust their position to get a better shot, and adjust to like five feet in front of my 12 pounders who, of course, continue right on firing in t0 their backs :evil: . Also when one of my units has destroyed the enemy unit they where engaging they seem to decide its high time for some R&R and sit around polishing their boots and braiding each others hair instead of attacking the other enemy unit right in front of them. This would not be such a problem if you could pause and give orders, but at real speed it gets to be overwhelming and things quickly break down in to mass chaos and I just hope I have a Quantity and or Quality advantage.

I think the game could greatly improved if the game play of the battles was improved.

The one thing I have noticed, especial if your defending, if there are any fortified positions near by use them you get huge bonus.

As far as attacking goes all I can think of is try to have more men and hope you have a military hospital near by.
gunner54
Soldier

battle speed

Post by gunner54 »

Battles do go at a very rapid pace which in its self can be fun. However, it would be good to be able to 'pause and comand' if you wanted. This would enable you to dress your lines, get errant and lazy troops back on track and into action.

However, I have no problem in moving or commanding troops in battle at the current speed the game runs (I hit the top of the learning curve playing the demo version).

Does anyone else find it difficult getting commanders to go and stay on the Helevtian Republic position? I find it very fiddly and sometimes quite irratating when my commanders refuse to move there when the rules of the game allow, or they simply will not come out of the barracks.

Age? Whats age got to do with anything? Wellington and Napoleon were both 40 when they contested the Battle of Waterloo! I am 50 and my wife is 48 and we both enjoy playing IG, and, apart from the naval battles, have no serious difficulty coming to grips with its 'charactoristics.'

I think IG is a great game (among my all time fave PC games are serveral produced in Spain) and with the proper tweaking (patch please) could be a very special one indeed.