Enemy never sits still and waits for player to attack...

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

nickyka99
Soldier

Enemy never sits still and waits for player to attack...

Post by nickyka99 »

I'v had Imperial Glory for 3 days now and I love the game and think a great job was done. However I have noticed that when in campaign mode, no matter how big my force is or how big the enemies force is in comparison to mine, the enemy [i]always[/i] attacks me even if I am invading them and my force is twice the size. I mean i can have 300 line men, a set of cav. and a couple howitzers and an enemy consistng of 200 line men runs right up to me even if they are occupying an objective area that offers good defensive positions. This just seems really weird to me and I always feel like I am defending even when I should be attacking. Anyone else have this problem?
Hengist
Soldier

Post by Hengist »

Strange?...
I've had the enemy waiting for me plenty of times. In fact I usually always have to take the battle to them.
giskard
Sergeant

Post by giskard »

The enemy always attack in Easy mode I noticed.

At Medium and Hard Difficulties they will wait, look for a good spot to fight and even run away and find a better defensive position as well as trying to flank you.

Giskard
http://www.respawn.co.uk
Imperial Glory Guides and charts.
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

I've found that my AI enemy to be remarkably adept at timing the perfect moment to attack me, usually just before, I am myself, in the most ideal position to attack him.

The enemy can be fairly easy to draw away from their cover, but still, good judgement is needed in unit positioning to make the most of it.

Overall, I've found that the enemy AI rarely gets drawn from a good defensive position until a significant tactical imbalance is about to reduce it's value. I find, that the AI's main weakness is it's overlooking the importance of keeping their forward artillery battieries at the farthist points along their lines nearest my own canon. So, if a artillery unit is -very- slowly crawled, until the very edge of an infantry/calvary unit, that is NOT in the range of his own batteries, the AI will often dramatically choice to advance aggressively with ALL his forces against my main line-of-battle, rather than just moving that single unit in danger, back further from my guns.
nickyka99
Soldier

Post by nickyka99 »

That must be it, I started my campaign in easy mode...I'll have to start over in medium mode if thats the case
giskard
Sergeant

Post by giskard »

Medium is much more fun anyway and not too hard either.

ZZ: Seen that my self, they go crazy the first time a cannon shot hits their front line. After that all defences are abandoned and they charge.

Giskard
Queeg
Soldier

Post by Queeg »

I think the AI tends to attack more often early in the campaign, when the majority of its units are inexperienced Militia. I've found that as the campaign progresses, and more of the units have ranged, as well as melee, capability, the AI will more often stand off and await an attack.
giskard
Sergeant

Post by giskard »

I noticed the AI is a opertunist.

Show some weakness and he will be on you so fast you will wonder what hit you.

Giskard