England's disadvantages

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

giskard
Sergeant

England's disadvantages

Post by giskard »

Hello all.

I noticed a lot of you play England so I wondered.

Are you aware that most of the other nations have officers researched at the start of the game ?

It takes England twice as long to get an army togather as it would take France or the other playable nations to do so. By the time England does have an Army the other nations are well established.

There is a natural assumption that England is easier to play because of the fact it is an Island but the combination of no leader research and the lack of naval shipyard research with the fact that other nations already have leaders researched means that by the time your ready to take on Europe, the other nations already have bigger armies than you do which limits your options and can protentialls stop you from getting anywhere.

I do not think England is the easiest nation to play for that reason.
Its just the safest at the start of the game.

Giskard
http://www.respawn.co.uk
Imperial Glory Guides and charts.
Homer
Lieutenant

Post by Homer »

Ok. I know that But It is Safe.
Take NO Prisoners!!!! Homer!!!.
LevMyshkin
Soldier

Post by LevMyshkin »

england by far is the easiest nation to play.

no one can attack for at least 3 turns, and you can nail 95% of the quests.

the key is to annex spain before the french do. on higher levels, the spanish will own alot of france. you can almost ignore building armies in the isles by using the spanish and portugese. but it wouldn't be any fun w/o horse artillery, now would it? 8)

once your awesome economy is running, start "buying" north africa, one by one.

you build a school in london and you'll quickly overtake the other nations in research. paris is pretty strong in research points, but they'll be too busy dealing with the neighbors to concentrate on tech! :wink:
giskard
Sergeant

Post by giskard »

Actually in my current game the french went for spain early, its a very unusual game and deserves its own thread because much more than is happening in it.

I think England feels like the easiest but the truth is your just as vunrable to attack as England as you are in any other nation. I have seen units landed by sea countless times now. Not just 1 unit but the full 3 units with more off shore.

So England is only safe for a short time.

The other nations are not really that keen to attack early on anyway so they are fairly safe for roughly the same period as England is safe. Whilst you will occasionally see exceptions when france or Austria take on a minor power and look weak so are attacked in turn. Most of the time there is more posturing going on in the early game for the other nations that there is actual attacks.

Even then, you only get attacked if you look weak.

Try playing for 10 years as england without building any troops, within 2 years you will have somebody landing in scotland.

Giskard
LevMyshkin
Soldier

Post by LevMyshkin »

on my 3rd brit campaign. never been attacked, but won the quest that gives military ports and sloops early.

the quests are the key. saves money, resources and and time. the free: hospitals, saw mills and ports give you an advantage early on. portugal might send ships up there, but they're your best friend. a strong navy will deter any invasion. (the free sloops plus you first 2, give you 5 ships early on. only the african nations bother with a big navy early)

being miles ahead in the tech tree also gives you 2 marshalls with armies. so, concentrating on annexing spain before the french is the crucial factor. even if the french get north africa, you can buy it from them later.
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

Yeah, Britain is the easiest to play overall. It's a matter of accessibility. Early in the game or late, Britain is just plain inconvient to launch an attack against directly.

But I would go so far as to say Britain isn't neccessarily so much the easiest to win with, it's just the hardest to really suck at.

--Dave
giskard
Sergeant

Post by giskard »

ZZ:)

Thats an excellent way to describe Englands problems.

EG its the hardest to suck at.

Like it a lot :)

giskard