New user

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

Vorster
Soldier

New user

Post by Vorster »

I finally got my dirty paws on the game after a month or so of waiting and WOW is all I can say. It is a lot better than RTW. Non of the micro management stuff. You just build the buildings in your capital and bingo you are getting money and resources. In RTW the constant moving of family members, trying to keep the populace happy and healthy can be tedious.

Now some points which I like and don’t like or would like to see. First the likes.

1. The fighting is very realistic with units lining up and shooting each other to bits. I have found that melee only sometimes happen, but only with line infantry with the grenadiers and black watch (playing Britain at the moment) they just slug it out.
2. Squares which resist cavalry attack, unlike some said, but only your grenadiers and watch units the line units just can’t handle it.

Some suggestions though.

1. Grapeshot for the artillery. I know this was discussed on Eidos’s forum but here is my thoughts. Have the grapeshot kill as much as an infantry unit in line with the first volley that way the artillery isn’t all powerful.
2. A function that turns a unit in a certain direction. Oh how many times have I marched a unit in line to and fro just to get them to line up with my artillery line.
3. Smarter AI for artillery units. These bastards should stop firing once their arc of fire intersects a friendly unit, unless ordered to. A bit annoying to see a perfect unit chewed up by your own artillery.
4. Smarter battle AI for the computer. It has happened a few times that I charge an artillery heavy enemy army and their own artillery destroy each other while I run rings around them with my cavalry. I also noticed that if you form a battle line and sortie out with the cavalry that the enemy will follow your cavalry into the battle line – a great recipe for slaughter.

Other than this I can say I am enjoying the game a lot.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

In individual- To turn a units facing you can still use:
Control + Middle mouse button > and the selected unit will turn in the direction of your on screen mouse cursor.

I know, I know... it sounds unneccessarily complicated but I personally use it ALOT.

Bewarned, I've found that sometimes in the middle of a close engagement your nicely ordered lines won't always to a nice turn and wheel.

In groups the tactics buttons can be used with the above turn facing command to line up a large group of combined units into a new directional facing.

--Dave
Vorster
Soldier

Post by Vorster »

Thanks will try it. Would like to see a pause function in which to give orders that way you don't have to do this in a split second.

Thanks for the warning as well. Once I have my formation it stays that way. I am alot like old monty. I also like a neat battlefield. The artillery retreat behind the lines and once they are on me and I wheel the furthes unit to face the enemy almost an L shaped ambush.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning
zzxxcc
Sergeant

Post by zzxxcc »

I'm the same way. I spend a ridiculous amount of time marching. At times it looks armies on parade! LOL

It's one of the things I like about this game. I could (and often do!) spend hours mastering the manuevers and formations.

Here's something I've been working on; using the Tactics/Formations in combination with the cntrl/MMB to change facing within formations, this, so as to completely -reverse- the facings that are offer in the default tactics buttons- this so as to double the default number avalible.

This is to say: there are several options they offer in tactics that I want exactly the -opposite- of what I'd like. So for example I- 1) march forward in pre-set formations, until I'm in the map area I want and a little past it. 2) Order another march formation this time -away- and from the direction I want to eventually face. 3) Order an 'about face'! And Voila'! They form up in exact formation but in reverse.

Silly, but having as large a variety of total army commands significantly expands your strategic opinions to prepare for action.

And is so oft repeated: "every battle is one or lost in the preparation"

--Dave
meth
Soldier

Post by meth »

do you guys use the right mouse button. if you click on whoever you want to move--pick a location by clicking and HOLDING IN the right mouse button--you can make the unit point the way you want. have you tried grouping units? starting using it and greatly improved my effectivness. and grapeshot wasn't really used succesfully throughout history