Cannon range

Imperial Glory mods, modding tools and more!

Moderator: TAFN staff

kennosen
Soldier

Cannon range

Post by kennosen »

Hey guys. I've just bought the game and have been trying to get to grips with the combat control method ect(pretty hard , as I'm addicted to the Napoleonic mod for medieval total war) it feels akward at the moment, but I'm sure it will get easier.
Anyway, I digress... the reason for this post is to ask if anyone has actually changed the cannon range and what the game is like? is there an easier way to do it other hexing? is there a download?
Also, has anyone thought of making larger maps? not the campaign one, but the combat maps? A larger area for battle would allow for an increase in cannon range without possibly spoiling the game.
Sorry to go over old stuff and all.

cheers
cocane
Soldier

Post by cocane »

i never build cannons...
why waste 800gold and much other stuff for a unit which cant even take out one militia troop or whatever before being munched.

All they do is take up space for good infantry lines anyway.

The AI is so stupid, that i dont need any cannons to get infantry out of a building.

And btw the current values are inaccurate.
Howitzer should not shoot farther than 6lb cannons. Thats just plain bullshit for crying out loud.
Howitzers shoot volleys and because of that i like them much more, cause i can position defenders right in front of it.
Cannons kill everyone in front of them AND have a shorter range? how gay is that :<

I would give Howitzers like 125m, cause they will hit nothing at that range anyway, since their bullets fly for hours then and if the enemy is moving he wont even notice it.
6lb Cannons like 150m and 12lb cannons like 175m.
But im just guessing it could be you own half the map without anyone coming close.
kennosen
Soldier

Post by kennosen »

I've not played it for a while. Completed the game as the Brits, and cant really see me playing it anymore unless a rather good mod surfaces.

I think that changing the cannon range would have to coincide with a much larger battle area. French 8 pounders had a max range of 1350 metres, with an effective range of 725m, when firing canister was 360- 410m.
So the map would have to be a lot larger, if you decided to make it a little more realistic, but there would be other factors to think about like firing rate ect, and ammo, when have you had some guns run out of ammo? hmmmm thats pants too. There was always the threat of a regiment or company of soldiers running out of ammo after a few hours of fighting, which left the commanding officer with few choices for keeping the unit fighting.
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Last night I took out like 300 men using just 3 Howitzers on the England map. I was the attacking side. I placed my Howitzers behind a hill (not to steap to shoot over) and just wiped out one enemy after another. They didn't attack my Howitzers, I guess because they couldn't see it behind the hill... :?
kennosen
Soldier

Post by kennosen »

Aye that sounds about right. The AI isnt very inventive sometimes. Makes me almost think that the whole thing was rushed to be released for the corporate moguls to make a deadline. Its a shame really, could have been a great game.