battlefield smoke

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

Von Bulow
Soldier

battlefield smoke

Post by Von Bulow »

for want of lasting gun smoke during battles, I had the idea to use the snow dust that one sees when marching an army through winter provinces in conjunction with the regular gun smoke effect that lasts a few seconds.. not sure if it would look right.. (it's pure white) but somewhere, there are the perameters for infantry gunfire in the Effects_Batalla.sb file.. have any modders tried affixing the snow dust code in with infantry fire? essentially you'd be activating the walking-in-snow effect when units started firing.. which would last until they were ordered to move or something like that.. possible? my attempts lead to IG crashing :| mostly because I can't read spanish :lol:
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

That is an interesting an idea, post your findings on here and I'll try to work on it.
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

I've been testing different effects for the infantry smoke and so far so good, I got some pretty big clouds of smoke, though I have to do it in moderation since too much smoke causes lag when faced with several units fireing at once.

I should have the mod ready by tonight.
@m
TAFN Staff

Post by @m »

File is up for download:

http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/commandos/scr ... file&id=65

Once again nice work Officerpuppy :)
Von Bulow
Soldier

Post by Von Bulow »

very nice.. infact that works much better than the snow dust ;)
binding the dust with infantry doesn't produce the same billowing effect that running through snow does.. perhaps it doesn't have time to billow. I don't know what command I could use in the time string to keep the dust continuous.. it's also quite stationary when used as rifle smoke.. it just sorta floats up perfectly verticle.. anyway great job on the smoke.. I never would have thought of that.
on your mod I tried .TIME 9.5 instead of .TIME !TIME_DISPAROS_FUSILES.. the smoke seemed to last slightly longer.. the full animation I think.. give it a try, I didn't notice any extra lag.
ST0MPA
Sergeant

Post by ST0MPA »

Good work once again, I also got your Naval sounds aswell, dont suppose you have had much luck with the other nations drum-marches. I really would like a long version of the french war drum.
ST0MPA
Sergeant

Post by ST0MPA »

Just an added note, i really love this smoke mod, its brilliant, what about my dragons, they are starting to get a size complex now.
Some people are like Slinkies, not good for much, but they manage to bring a smile to your face, when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

Would the smoke effect from cav be the same as infantry? Or would it be smaller.
ST0MPA
Sergeant

Post by ST0MPA »

at the moment it looks like its normal. the canon would be nice to have smoke when they fire, as well as when the shot lands and explodes
Some people are like Slinkies, not good for much, but they manage to bring a smile to your face, when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

I just submited a second version of my smoke mod, I've toned down the smoke effect for Infantry in order to reduce lag in major infantry battles in which the unit stats have been edited to create larger armies than the game default. I've also added the smoke effect for cavlary. As for artiliery, I forgot to add the smoke effect to them :roll:

I'll get that fixed in version three, plus change anything that might not be working right with soon to come realism mods for IG thanks to the stats editor.
-HITMAN-
Soldier

Post by -HITMAN- »

Due to my lack of computer knowledge, where do I find the 'Effects' folder so I can put the smoke patch in.
Thanks...
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

Program Files/Pyro Studios/Imperial Glory/Effects
-HITMAN-
Soldier

Post by -HITMAN- »

Can't see it there, is this even the right folder?
Am I doing something wrong?
-HITMAN-
Soldier

Post by -HITMAN- »

Opps.
LoL
I just created a Effects folder.
And now it works...
Thanks!
ST0MPA
Sergeant

Post by ST0MPA »

good work on v.3 of the smoke mod, my dragoons look much better now, and the canons are great too. please get some sleep now. and eat something.