Facts&Questions on Artillery and Much More

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

ytareh
Soldier

Facts&Questions on Artillery and Much More

Post by ytareh »

I bought the BradyGames IG game strategy guide which (as advised on TAFN) is not really anything other than a unit/battle stats guide with little 'meat' and lots of 'padding'.However I picked out some interesting 'facts' which I was curious to test.I must point out that I am running a patched install with modified unit stats(Icanus) and some 'Batalla' mods to units behaviour(Godkin)I used the Wales map which is ideal for 'testing as its flat as a pancake#1 'fact':Lancers are best unit to attack squares with...Appears to be totally untrue at least in this game-at best average and possibly even the worst at this!#2 'fact':Horse Arty(12lb) is more powerful than Arty(12lb).This is absolutely true!#3'fact':Howitzers have twice the 'attack strength' of 6/12 pounders.....According to basic unit stats this should be true but doesnt seem to be.....So I decided to do some extensive testing of Arty and will describe this in the next post.
ytareh
Soldier

Post by ytareh »

ARTY. TESTING.I used the Wales map as defender with a unit of French millitia against various single units of(British) Arty.I have 5 cannons per unit.I have increased range of arty units to approx quarter realistic values ie 300-500m.I aimed at the millitia-unit size 100- who once targeted charge at arty .The Horse arty are definitely the most effective with an average of around 16 militia reaching the arty to attack them.'Plain' 12 pounders are next with about 28 survivors.Rockets seem to be in third place with 35 survivors while the 6 pounders are next with about 37 survivors.Lastly the Howitzers are equally bad horse drawn or not....
ytareh
Soldier

Post by ytareh »

Now heres the thing if Howitzers are meant to be more lethal than other arty then why do they come in a distant last against advancing infantry?!Are they perhaps most lethal against a stationary target eg building?In general the 12 pounders are much more destructive when the enemy gets right up to them at point blank range whereas the howitzers and especially rockets are destructive from long range to qute close up-but in final 40-80m they go over the heads of attackers.Rockets and howitzers on a hill seem to be best for hitting very close targets.Theres a line like 'artillery height coefficient' in the Batalla (Godkin) folder ...maybe that would allow hitting point blank targets if modified but if its like many other factors(eg weapon reload time) it wont be straightforward.So is there a way we can understand how the "ranged attack" values for howitzers is meant to be preprogrammed to be highest ?Any line directly related to it ?In the unit stats the only difference between the various types of arty is in definitions of short/med/long ranges and % (?) accuracies at short/med/long range.And theres nothing related to it in Batalla folder either...Anyone making progress in cracking the games secrets!?On a final arty side note I read recently that long range 'airburst' ammo was used by cannons of the era as well as the short range cannister type .Wouldnt it be cool if we had that in game.I suppose we could simulate cannister by increasing accuracies in the (very) short range band....
Officerpuppy
IG Staff

Post by Officerpuppy »

That would be interesting.....imagine if the v.3d file could be changed for the cannon ball during short range attacks, like maybe replace it with some sort of dust to simulate canister shot.

Though, I think both long and short range is tied in under one line which points to the canon ball model.
ytareh
Soldier

Post by ytareh »

OK so I know a lot of this was discovered in the early days of forums but maybe guys who arrived later missed out or you havent seen it all:After a little testing I found the following:Maximum stable unit size for all purpose use including square formation =100.Absolute maximum unit size if square formation not attempted ie "Quick Battles" with no 'square formation ability ''purchased'=200.This allows for a massive maximum of 7200 troops on the field which is pretty impressive given the quality of their modelling!To get these bigger figures use the work of Icanus detailed in these forums.9You get a black screen crash if attempt square formation ,units of 500 etc.Just re-edit to more suitable stats and game will start fine again)