Imperial Appeal

Imperial Glory is an interesting addition to the turn based strategy game. Lot's of mods to enhance the gameplay.

Moderator: TAFN staff

Elllsid
Soldier

Imperial Appeal

Post by Elllsid »

I play this game way too much, I have been looking for other games with the same type design, with graphics to match. So far my search is fruitless. What make this so appealing? for me the birds eye view spanning the battlefields and the command and control. The campaigns are detailed but not engrossing that you get bogged down in technical garbage. I was totally turned off from Rome total war because I want to see the battle, I enjoy the visual appeal from the game. CFS1 and CSF2 had different views to allow the player to see the special effects. History Channel, Gettesburg was great but no campaign. I dont care to be a general, captain or pilot in the cockpit with limited view. Any suggestions?
ytareh
Soldier

Post by ytareh »

Well I came to this game as a flight sim fan .You should try the IL2/Forgotten Battles/Aces Expansion Pack/Pacific Fighters series that are SOOOOO00000..... far ahead of the CFS series.Simply brilliant.You will need a very good pc to run at max settings though .Of these 4 only the AEP can not be used stand alone.Most fly online(VERY hard!) using a merged install of the latter 3 'games'.IL" is dirt cheap at the moment and even 4 yrs later still better than any of the competition.Wings of War is a WW! flight game -great online .Lock On is a jet sim that is just too hard(sitting with a copy and pen taking notes watching training videos so you can shoot up trucks with an A10s gatling gun is not my idea of fun.As for using radar guided missiles simply dream on)Very recently I have discovered the driving games Grand Prix Legends and GT Legends which will appeal to 60s and 70s kids big time!I have yet to find a WW2 game comparable with Imperial Glory which is sad having tried loads of RTS WW2 games.I suppose Codename Panzers 2 is best of a bad lot -but hard to SEE the action (as you mentioned is key to a good game).Silent Hunter 2 is ok although 3 is nearly as hard as LOMAC.I dont think I ever launched a torp before selling it!Finally I bought a 'bundle' of games from Ebay recently to get Cossacks which was useless!!!I was astonished to really enjoy a silly old board game style PC game called Risk 2 -simple good fun.
Elllsid
Soldier

Post by Elllsid »

thanks for the in put. I tried IL2 but the flight sims as you say more like the real thing with graphics to boot. My Dell 8400/radon300x card handles all games quit well. I gobbled up a bunch of games off ebay, Amazon.com and sells at comp USA. Code name panzers( like IG has clear and crisp graphics) was the best WWII game campared to blitzkrieg. I have wings of war but I have not tried It yet. A friend of mine who is all Navy(Beat Army) liked Silent hunter.
Worst games I have tried so far are: Cossacks II(0), Grigsby's World at War(2), Axis and Allies(0). People complained about IG when it first came out. I never had the frustration of the original, I bought the 1.1 verson off the shelf. No game is perfect but I got my money's worth out of this game to make up for all the really bad ones I bought.
Hopefully some one will make a World War II game like IG or other periods.
ytareh
Soldier

Post by ytareh »

AMEN TO THAT!I had no interest in Napoleonic era before IG now Im really into it!I was always a WW2 era gamer but have yet to find a game anywhere near as good as IG set in WW2.You should find Wings of War easy enough and the great thing (well maybe not from a security viewpoint!) is that it will play on the net out of the box without any messing about with router settings (opening 'ports' etc).
TAFNsick
TAFN Staff

Post by TAFNsick »

Wait a few more months for Commandos: Strike Force then. :)