3D Faces

Discussion of the original groundbreaking Commandos games (Commandos BEL, BCD, C2 and C3)

Moderator: TAFN staff

Pitr
Soldier

3D Faces

Post by Pitr »

Hello everyone!

I've read about Commandos modding and managed to do something in the game with the modding kit, but now i'm trying to do a slightly different think and I hope you can help me.

Is it somehow possible to export the 3D faces of the commandos in an .obj file so that I can later import them in a 3D software (maybe by using the modding kit or a 3d ripper)?

I've tried with 3D Ripper DX, Ninja Ripper and later I've searched in the DATA.PCK file with the pckmanager, but with no luck.

Is there a way to do it?

Any help will be appreciated!
Jovan
TAFN Staff

Post by Jovan »

Hey Pitr,

I believe one of the tools in the modding kit allows you to convert the meshes back into .obj (or was it .max?) file format.
Pitr
Soldier

Post by Pitr »

Hi Jovan,

Thank you for your answer. However, I've tried with the tools included in the kit, but the problem is that i cannot even find which file/files contain the 3D faces. So I don't know which tool i have to use to convert them. I've searched the whole DATA.PCK archive, but the files don't seem to be there (or I cannot find them).
herbert3000
Soldier

Post by herbert3000 »

Hi Pitr,

that's how you can convert the 3D Faces to .OBJ:

1) Extract the .ABI file inside DATA.PCK with PCK Manager
The 3D faces are located here: DATA\ANIMS\ABI\CARA*.ABI (e.g. CARACOMANDO.ABI)

2) Convert the ABI to .OBJ with AbiConverter (requires JRE)
Download link: https://sites.google.com/site/belcomman ... ects=0&d=1
Usage: just run 'Extract Abi.bat' and type in the filename of the ABI (ABI file, AbiConverter.jar and .bat file must be in the same directory)

Importing the obj back to abi isnt't supported yet.

Pitr
Soldier

Post by Pitr »

Hello herbert3000,

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!